F1 » Vote delay, legal action could 'kill F1 deal for Austin'

Austin city council has opted to delay a vote on approval for the USGP despite legal opposition to funding for the event.

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Call me Mr Cynical - Unregistered

June 24, 2011 12:34 PM

They do have a point though, for the town/state to spend this sort of money whilst they are laying off staff could be controversial?

This is the problem when F1 hawks itself around the world looking for money rather than consolidating itself on traditional circuits.

F1 is looking more and more like a franchise than a sport, unfortunately the tail is wagging the dog?

For the record

I have no problems with new races around the world
I am an F1 fan
I believe that the sport should be run by the FIA and the teams invited to enter the races, not as shareholders.

richard

June 24, 2011 1:01 PM

caller. the town may have to spend money, but the beneficial income from a gp is enormous. i would like to see austin succeed, for several reasons. it would be nice to see the us hosting a race again. the track, even though it is a tilke track, seems to have good features including altitude changes. it might encourage a genuine us entry into f1.

Call me Mr Cynical - Unregistered

June 24, 2011 1:39 PM

Richard, I think you have me wrong, I like Austin been there many times, however the revenue from GP's has in the past been vastly overrated.
So you will be using city/state funds which I think in this day and age to be wrong.

kranalif

June 24, 2011 3:36 PM

That how things are run in this country, little bit of fuss here, lawyers over there, and the media taking the corporation's side........corporations ALWAYS win....... It will be enough for them to say, "we will create jobs" and bling bling.............You will all see!.....
.....I will see you guys in Austin next year!......

Bzzzzt - Unregistered

June 24, 2011 4:54 PM

As much as I badly (and selfishly) want an F1 race in my home country, I don't live in Austin and therefore I wouldn't end up paying for it. I would be amazed if residents are behind it at all, under the circumstances. The economy is a mess, the relevance of F1 has dried up in the US (no US drivers or teams, little domestic tv coverage), and the only memory that most people have is when 3/4s of the teams refused to race at Indy.

Why are they staging the race here, again?

Oh right, to sell us cars that we can't afford. Awesome.

The economics of it don't work. Tax subsidies mean that everyone living there will pay for it, but only nearby businesses will benefit. Let's cut a few more teachers so that the Hilton family can make another fortune?

Steve - Unregistered

June 24, 2011 5:22 PM

Honestly I think the people trying to stop this race are being complete idiots right now. How long ago did they announce Austin getting a venue? 12-18 months ago? And these issues are coming up now? They shoulda got their **** together well before the circuit construction got underway. Bring on the USGP! North America needs another race here.

bojan - Unregistered

June 24, 2011 8:30 PM

If I recall correctly, Cleveland Airport was used by CART rather than F1. I'm no expert, but I believe CART (now Indy) cars are a lot more substantial than F1. It wasn't the smoothest circuit in the world and I doubt any F1 cars would complete the races without several parts missing.

If the US wants a Grand Prix, why not Road America, a superb track. But of course what really matters to Big Bernie, is not how good the track is, but the quality of the on site corporate hospitality suites.