F1 » Ecclestone: Vettel dominance makes F1 'interesting'

It is a statement that will likely cause many to question just where he has left his marbles this time, but this frank and engaging exchange between F1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone and defending world champion Sebastian Vettel is well worth reading...

Filter Comments: All | Registered

walrus909

June 30, 2011 1:29 PM

Perhaps it is interesting for a billionaire loon wandering around the pits, with the catbird seat. But for the rest of us unfortunates watching the race for second on the tele, the lack of drama is miserable.

sokudo - Unregistered

June 30, 2011 1:33 PM

Surely competitiveness makes F1 interesting, not dominance. Vettel's a hell of a driver but if he's always winning, why would F1 be worth watching? I don't get it. I've stopped watching when Schumacher dominated because the championship was over by the half way point and I consider myself a big F1 fan (not as hardcore as a lot of people but still I'll go out of my way to watch the practice!).

Jake - Unregistered

June 30, 2011 1:43 PM

What is lost in all these complaints about dominance and competition is, when the rules are in place that everyone agrees with and one team and driver are simply a step above the rest, whose fault is that?

Is it really "competition" if rules intentially punish a driver or team that is successful? Is Red Bull the best car? Probably but then why isn't Webber giving Vettel a run? Right now Vettel and Red Bull are the best package and deserve the results they are achiving.

I do agree about better tracks and a set of rules that make sense instead of these contrived rules, like passing zones. To me that is boring. Look at SBK, there are no passing zones and that's what makes it exciting because you just don't know what is going to happen and when

USF1_Fan - Unregistered

June 30, 2011 1:45 PM

As another fan of the SPORT more than any team or driver (though I do have teams and drivers I prefer, of course)I too have to admit that I stopped watching during the Schumacher era.

While I can see a point to Ecclestone's view- the battle to make the cars competitive does create some interest on one level- the fact is that F1 losers viewers when there is dominance.

Bernie is blowing smoke once again.
Surprise...

@ Taz
Ecclestone specified Alonso as one of the prior champs that didn't comport himself as he would like, so I would think that is who he was referring to more than any other, wouldn't you?

blzbub

June 30, 2011 1:46 PM

The so called 'marque teams' with there best drivers will have to live up to the billing that some of them have given themselves, they now have to try to catch the 'crash kid' (the one at red bull) whilst he is in the fastest car (not the red one, the red bull), and see what the standings tell us at the end of the year, the season may still have some suprises in store

Caroline - Unregistered

June 30, 2011 2:34 PM

Viewing figures are up quite markedly, so more people are definitely interested, but whether they'll stay interested if Vettel dominates like Schumacher did is another question ... But people seem to love seeing a privateer team put one over the corporate behemoths.

Cris - Unregistered

June 30, 2011 3:07 PM

@Caroline,

I dont think RedBull can still be considered a privateer, since their budget, facilities are on par if not higher than Ferrari or McLaren. In regards to Bernies Comments, he will praise anyone who will provide him more money, lets not forget how he loves Hamilton before. Both Lewis and Sebastian raise ratings, so thats more money. Bernie's blood stinks of greed.

1 2 3 4 5 6  »