F1 » Chandhok replaces Trulli at Lotus for German GP

Karun Chandhok is to be given his race chance in F1 2011 sooner than anticipated after Team Lotus announced that the Indian will replace Jarno Trulli in this weekend's German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring

richard

July 21, 2011 12:57 PM

chandhok is nowhere in the same calss as jarno. jarno and kovi are reasonably equal in performance. they usually circulate in company, and both have been with major teams, putting up good results. they are both unfortunate in that there were no good seats available, and had to go to malaysia f1 to stay in f1. unless there is money involved (there usually is!) i cannot understand chandhok being given a seat this weekend.

Taz - Unregistered

July 21, 2011 1:11 PM

I puzzles me why the hang to Truli unless his feedback in car dev is so good, Kovalainen is out performing him.

Karun is a nice guy, don't think he'll ever set the world alight but deserves a stab, I think a deal has already been done so he'll be in the car at the Indiam GP, Brundle mentioned it in the fan forum.

blah - Unregistered

July 21, 2011 1:13 PM

The only thing I remember Chandhok achieving this year is wrecking a car on his first lap of practice in Australia(?). Should've given the ride to a better driver.

Mojo Jojo

July 21, 2011 1:18 PM

Smart move by Fernandes fielding Karun just as the words between Chandhok and Mallya have been so hot in the Asian scene.

Now he's got the whole continent behind him. And, consequently, Air Asia. Take that KIngfisher Airlines!

And like someone said, they can do no worse on the track anyway, so might as well win on the corporate front.

BuckBundy

July 21, 2011 1:43 PM

I thought to start with that it was a very good decision as it will give him some confidence that he is there not just because he is Indian, as would have been the case if he only got to drive in India, but then I figured why they have done it is just so they can be SEEN to be doing more than a token effort!

I'm no Indian, but come the Indian GP there will be far more attention given to Chandhok than Karthikeyen, certainly from the media outside India as he comes over as a much better ambassador.

Jimmy - Unregistered

July 21, 2011 4:12 PM

You *****s are blind, your only saying he's useless because your basing his performance from last year, WAKE UP HE WAS DRIVING THE HRT WHICH WAS AND STILL IS 6 SECONDS SLOWER.

arcuid

July 21, 2011 4:24 PM

@Jimmy Here's the thing Kovalainen has more experience than Chandok in an F1 car. Granted the Indian driver's experience may be limited but with an F1 veteran as his team mate for the weekend Chandok might get his butt kicked. Right now the Finn is kicking Trulli's butt and the Italian has been around longer. What does that say about Kovalainen?

rjbetty - Unregistered

July 21, 2011 5:14 PM

:o What the?!! I just metaphorically spat out my tea! I thought I was seeing things when I saw the headline.

Chandhok seems a very nice guy, but he's ghastly slow in F1 terms.

I just want to know why Nico Hulkenberg wasn't given this chance.

Worst of all is that they're thinking of giving Karun a full contract for next year! While drivers like Hulkenberg might still be on the sidelines! If Nico doesn't get in at Force India or anywhere else, surely he should get the Lotus drive.

I'm fed up of people saying Chandhok was better than Senna last year. Senna owned him in GP2, and was better than him last year.

« 1 2 3 4 5  »