F1 » BBC, Sky Sports in joint F1 TV deal from 2012

In a dramatic shift for F1 viewers in the UK, it has been announced that the BBC and Sky Sports are to jointly broadcast the sport from next season onwards - although only one of them will show all of the races live

Beardedwarrior - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 11:59 AM

I have the same feeling as all the others on here I have been watching F1 since I was 5 I follow all of the Practise and Qually sessions and watch the races live with My Children on a sunday afternoon Like I wish my Dad had done with me, I am however Never going to pay Sky for F1 Coverage £30 a month to watch 2 or 3 races a month is out of the question It will be an Internet feed or a German free Sat channel for me.

Who is this feckless partt Barbara whatsername at the Beeb who reckons they've got a fantastic deal with Ecclestone & F1? How can giving up your exclusive rights for 2012 onwards and losing live race coverage for most of the season be good? She admits that F1 viewing is up (it grown by good coverage and winning patronage in consequence) but her feckless action will scupper that completely. Had the Beeb held on to what they had for 2012 viz. exclusivity, the chances are Ecclestone would be out of the picture thereafter so far as his greed driving up the 'rights' coverage costs are concerned. I think she should be sacked to save the Beeb from future appalling contract decisions such as this.
Exclusive F1 coverage would cost £40m - So What! They'd get that back in global networking easily - if they had the nous to go in that direction instead! The cost of forking out huge salaries for grossly overpaid narcissistic actors and 'celebs' full of their own self-importance remains the biggest

Alan - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 12:00 PM

As other comments absolutly gutted about this, how far fetched is it to say "Great for F1 fans!" Just shows how much Mr E and Sky are out of touch with the real world!

an4rew - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 12:00 PM

I will not be paying the Tv License next year. F1 is one of the few things i do watch. I can detune the tv and remove all antenna leads etc.

Remember it is legal to own a television without a license for gaming, dvd playback and you are allowed to watch the iplayer online too for free as long as its after the live recording.

Herber Clinker - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 12:06 PM

I bet the bbc are paying huge salaries to the likes of jake humphrey,martin brundle,david coulthard,eddie jordan etc etc.
plus why do they have to go swanning off to all the grand prix's around the world at the licence payers expense,i can remember when murray walker used to commentate in a small room at broadcasting house watching the same tv feed that the viewer saw and he was probably paid peanuts to do it.
if the bbc thought f1 to expensive why didn't they cut back on salaries etc etc before selling their souls to rupert i'm hacking you phone murdoch.

fish fingers - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 12:07 PM

it was clever of James Murdoch to do a split deal rather than try to take complete rights altho I thought there was a clause that the sport shd be live on terrestrial?. I guess this is the start of the process of buying the sport.

Joe Public - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 12:11 PM

RIP Formula 1.

I do not have Sky and never will. I will not watch only half of the races on BBC, whats the point ? I also won't watch highlights as whats the point int hat ? By the time the race has finsihed on Sky the winners name will be in the news so chances are I will hear before I get to watch the highlights.

SAD SAD day.

ITV was ****e with all the ad's and then the beeb took over and coverage was good. No ad's! Now Sky will show ad's agin. What a MASSIVE step backwards. Bernie greedy is laughing all the way to the bank. He does not give a **** about the public. He already has **** loads of money so why be so greedy?

ROY - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 12:18 PM

sky is and has always been arip off i dont have it and dont want it, so thanks to bernies greedy attitude and the bbc who quite frankly spend money on showing rubbish i an going to be deprived of the only sport i watch. well thanks to all.

stevyweavy - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 12:18 PM

What an absolute disaster.

Less viewers in the UK from next year, less sponsorship for the teams. What next 2CVs rebadged as F1 for cost cutting purposes and you can pay to be a passenger in the "new" F1 cars?

« 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  »