F1 » BBC, Sky Sports in joint F1 TV deal from 2012

In a dramatic shift for F1 viewers in the UK, it has been announced that the BBC and Sky Sports are to jointly broadcast the sport from next season onwards - although only one of them will show all of the races live

Richy Rich

July 29, 2011 9:45 AM

There's not a hope in HELL Murdoch will ever get any of my money. After a lifetime of F1 watching I'll be going down to half the races. If anyone is prepared to give money to this prat then more fool you.....

elijah - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:45 AM

Rupert Murdoch has a "close to zero" chance of buying Formula One and talk of a takeover is being driven by the media and advisers seeking to make money, the sport's supremo, Bernie Ecclestone .

“The BBC have done a great job and we obviously do our part in supplying great sporting entertainment," Ecclestone continued, “Just look at their viewing figures they keep going up. The Canadian Grand Prix lasted all afternoon and they had a huge audience of eight million, and took a lot when they went over to BBC2. The British Grand Prix was another success, with over six million watching, I would like them to continue as they are doing, but it is about making clever decisions by those who have to.”

So this is his clever decision .Ecclestone NEEDS TO GO.

Wolfy35

July 29, 2011 9:46 AM

What a joke.

What happened to Bernie's promise that F1 would only ever be on free to air and never on pay TV? I can afford to pay for sky sports but never will and I will not be alone in that.

At least while ever the internet exists it will be easy to find a site streaming coverage for no cost.

Taz - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:47 AM

Rallying has been ruined by ESP, you can't even watch it with a Sky sports subscription.

CVC have sold out, obviously they are worried about their investment.

For me as an F1 fan, it's the beginning of the end of my interest.

Considering news corps recent activities it's staggering that F1 have given them teh rights.

Truly gutted.

Dav - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:48 AM

if ive i worked this out correctly if youve only got standard sky like i have then its £12.25 extra a month which equates to £147 a year to be an F1 fan?......sod that

mike - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:48 AM

i hope the BBC and Sky both suffer for this, as many of the fans will. I'd rather not watch it than pay, regardless of who the money would go to. Absolute joke.

DAVE HARRISON

July 29, 2011 9:49 AM

Our sport is becoming held to ransom.I would rather watch the beebs GP highlights than ever pay Sky to watch it all.I have cable tv and pay for that but think Murdoch is just a bully with too much money!Wait til Bernie finds out his phone was on the hacking list!

Redstone - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:49 AM

Not Impressed!! This is bad for the fans, bad for F1, view numbers and revenue will plummet in the long term I think. What happened to Bernies insistence that F1 should stay free to air? Oh I forgot. "When Money Talks,Morality Walks".

Gazza1JB

July 29, 2011 9:50 AM

Are they having a laugh.....great news for f1 fans??
Even if you have sky its going to be rubbish with all the adverts during the race missing the race winning overtake and all the best bits, f1 coverage had finally just come good its been the best its been for years and now they do this....wasters!

IanFraser - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:51 AM

This is not good for anyone but Sky and Bernie. Even those with Sky Sports already will have to put up with annoying adverts. I thought BE said he would make sure it stayed on terrestrial tv? Although I guess technically it is but not the way I'd hoped! The BBC coverage has been superb and is a lot of the reason the sport is on a roll at the moment. Seems it's all about the money - again!!javascript:insertTextCursor('comment',%20':rolleyes:')

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »