F1 » BBC, Sky Sports in joint F1 TV deal from 2012

In a dramatic shift for F1 viewers in the UK, it has been announced that the BBC and Sky Sports are to jointly broadcast the sport from next season onwards - although only one of them will show all of the races live

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Doris Nutscrubber - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:52 AM

30 pounds a month to watch F1 (20 pounds sports subscription,10 pounds hd subscription a month).

Well mr ecclestone,mr murdoch and the men at the beeb you can go and get stuffed coz you ain't getting a penny out of me to watch the sport i love i'd rather go without.
I've learned to do without football,darts i'm sure i can live without F1

Tompeters - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:52 AM

F1 just lost so many viewers...Coverage has been incredible this year and I cannot express how gutted I am.

Just looked at what it will cost to get in HD next year. I currently had freesat HD so for me I would have to pay sky for the base package+HD so that's £600 a year just to watch F1.
F* right off!

Cheers BErnie - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:53 AM

Is there anything Bernie isn't prepared to sell? I've wathced every race since I was 5 years old and is no way I can afford Sky. Not that i'd want to give any money to a meglomaniac tyrant anyway, Sad day. Lets hope FOTA do the decent thing and set up their own shop ASAP

Phill A - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:53 AM

Watch 50% or pay for Sky - NO WAY
I am an avid motorsport fan and ex club racer but on principle and cost Bye Bye F1
They have sold out - now watch the sponsers walk as as they also seek 'free to air' sports that reach the people.

David Winstanley - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:54 AM

This could be even worse than it sounds. The amount of advertising allowed on Satellite channels is 14 minutes per hour, so if that happens during an F1 race we will lose approx 25% of the live race action. You should try watching golf on sky!! I tend to Sky+ it and then catch up about an hour after it's started. It's a nightmare!

Of course, part of the deal might mean showing less advertising during the race, but you never know.

Somersetlemon - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 9:54 AM

Disaster, Disaster...
I am more of a bike fan, but like I suspect a lot of the BBC's viewers, enjoy watching F1 from time to time, and have watched more this year than ever, owing to a more exciting championship and excellent coverage.
Ecclestone and Murdoch deserve each other, but I will certainly not be joining their perverted party. They disgust me. For sure this will result in a decline in national interest in F1. Only Premiership football really has the fan base to survive being restricted to pay TV, and even then it loses the casual viewer like me.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »