F1 » BBC, Sky Sports in joint F1 TV deal from 2012

In a dramatic shift for F1 viewers in the UK, it has been announced that the BBC and Sky Sports are to jointly broadcast the sport from next season onwards - although only one of them will show all of the races live

bart - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 10:12 AM

The BBC have lost the plot. Ok they need to save money, but this makes no sense. F1 coverage on the BBC is at a '10 year high' and whilst cutting F1 coverage, they indicate that the World Service will continue.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't use the World Service and its like. F1 and the news are the only programmes I watch on the BBC and I can do without the news.

If I'm to be made to pay for F1, best to scrap the licence fee, I resent having to pay for services I don't use, especially now that, with this precedent, I may have to pay for those I do use.

Willem - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 10:13 AM

I live in the Netherlands and always watch F1 (and motogp) on the BBC.
Since we can't receive Sky Sports here, this deal means we're gonna miss half of the races.
Well done Bernie! You definitely overplayed you're hand this time. Not only will you lose a lot of viewers in the UK, but also all the BBC viewers in the rest of the world.

steffan - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 10:14 AM

for the pubs who show the races this might be a good thing because people might flock down there get drinks in and I presume the races will be shown in 3D as well as HD the way people view could be changed as well i'm presuming so don't kill me

Taipan

July 29, 2011 10:14 AM

Shame for F1, shame for F1 fans, Great for greedy Bernie and greedy Rupert!

The BBC's coverage in the last couple of years has been the best I've seen, this deal is obviously the start of the end for F1 on the BBC which is a real shame.

BuckBundy

July 29, 2011 10:14 AM

I don't believe you lot!
I'm as pi$$ed off as any of you at this news, but get real people, you haven't lost as much as you could have done. Without shelling out a single penny to Sky, you will still be able to watch half the races live, and 'extensive' highlights of the others.

It could have been far worse, as it often is when Sky gets their hands on things and makes them exclusive! You all need to reflect on what could have been!

What we don't yet know is exactly what 'extensive' highlights are, but I would like to think that it means longer than we currently get after they've already shown the whole race live.

Mr H - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 10:16 AM

dont forget the BBC had a part to play in all of this, They own the rights for 2013 so they have made the decision to sell their rights to sky. Its not all BE doing

Conger - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 10:20 AM

O boy, this just sucks. No way can I paying for a Sky sports upgrade just to watch F1.
This comes after the BCC has done such a great job of making watching F1 so much better than it was on ITV. After Bernie insists it will stay on free to view TV, the teams have also said say they need it on Free to view for the sponsorship.

ascari - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 10:20 AM

Sky Sports usually do a really good job so its not too bad news. Motogp is better on Eurosport than the bbc, it wouldn't suprise me if F1 turns out the same.
Lee McKenzie is fit so thats less tv time for her apart from that i cant see why people aren't happy!

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »