F1 » BBC, Sky Sports in joint F1 TV deal from 2012

In a dramatic shift for F1 viewers in the UK, it has been announced that the BBC and Sky Sports are to jointly broadcast the sport from next season onwards - although only one of them will show all of the races live

cpwmonkey - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 11:08 AM

This is pure arrogance on the part of F1 - as soon as viewing figures go up they increase the fees/costs exponentially. They forget that this sport is nothing without the fans, and it's now our chance to show this by not subscribing to Sky Sports. Bernie is correct in saying that the viewing figures for the BBC are at record levels, although he underestimates that this is due to the fact that a) the Beebs coverage is great, and b) it's 'free'. Bernie/Sky think they can simply charge the viewers for the coverage and they'll conform. I certainly won't be.

soaum - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 11:12 AM

It is truly sad that as the audience figures have increased in the last couple of years. sky executives have been rubbing their hands with dollar signs in their eyes. the problem is they know with viewing figures so high there will be enough people willing to pay to make sky a lot of money. as for the rest of the fans that don't want to or can't afford it... F#*K EM

What shambles.

Peter Feltham - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 11:12 AM

I completely agree with cpwmonkey just above. The irony is Bernie insisting that F1 would never go to pay-TV yet just a few weeks later, it does. I refuse to purchase anything Murdoch, and have done for years. As an F1 fan since the 60s, this is a complete disaster for UK fans, and I am gutted by this.

damo 666

July 29, 2011 11:15 AM

this is proper dog log
best f1 in years
more british drivers with real chance of winning in years
higher audiences in years
now they give it over to sky....
i will not pay sky to watch F1
ps - BBC, give motogp back to eurosport coz you're shat at this as well

torrorosso2 - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 11:15 AM

I have been following F1 on TV for last god knows how many years and I have NO intention of subscribing to SKY to watch adverts popping up every 5 minutes , I hope all the other devotees out there also adopt the same stance as myself and vote with there hands to keep there money in the bank and see the viewing figures drop off a cliff maybe Bernie will get the message don,t shaft the viewing fans .

Mac the knife - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 11:16 AM

So much for the promise of Mr Ecclestone that F1 would never go to pay to view, TV when it comes to money it seems he just doesn't know when he has enough. I certainly will not be paying for sky sports it's just not worth £150+ to watch 10 races i'm retired and cannot afford to spend that kind of money. A total betrayal Bernie you should be ashamed.

Liam48

July 29, 2011 11:21 AM

This is crap... I'm so gutted, the BBC coverage is brilliant and the presenters and the commentary team are fantastic too, not to mention the F1 forum which is just brilliant, now we have to put up with adverts and inexperienced people commentating on the race. They should have got rid of the MotoGP because their coverage is rubbish, they should give it back to Eurosport.

lee - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 11:23 AM

ridiculous!!!! all ecclestone cares about is money. No thought at all for the fans. This really is terrible terrible news. Sky will make a total hash of showing f1

Stuart - Unregistered

July 29, 2011 11:24 AM

Words cannot describe how utterly, deeply saddened I am about this news... more-so than when it went to ITV even. In 30+ years of watching F1 it's never been so good as the coverage by the Beeb now.

I will never switch to sky. I would have happily - and I mean this - paid the BBC an extra-over the set licence fee to watch their continued coverage, kind of like a 'pay-per-view in HD' coverage affair, just to make the point that Murdochery ain't getting a fricken penny off of me. I don't think £5-10 per race weekend is unfair either. Where was the choice for the viewer in all of this??? I also feel we've been shafted by Bernie too, but what's the point in moaning now??

Hey, I guess there is always the races broadcast on the net for free, if you know where to look!

« 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  »