F1 » Humphrey: Important to retain perspective over new UK TV deal

Jake Humphrey: It is important to point out the BBC didn't want to lose F1, however a freezing of the licence fee actually means that keeping the sport is a success in itself.

Kevin S - Unregistered

July 30, 2011 5:51 PM

Very,very disappointed, this is a sponsors sport already as the cars and drivers displaying logos at every opportunity which is colourful and accepted. But do they need the extra cash from sky, which one assumes it is what this is all about. I personally enjoy the current race coverage and have this year been at mac merc HQ for work reasons and saw all the past cars, cups etc which was very enjoyable for a long standing fan that I am.

But to be sucked up into the sky corp is one too many for me and my budget, as it does not warrant joining sky sports just for one sport..

Which is a big shame, but their is life away from F1, which at least the wife will be pleased about!!

thevoiceofreason - Unregistered

July 30, 2011 7:27 PM

I am in full agreement with the majority of F1 fans that the move to Sky is stupid, irritating and an example of short-term greed over long-term planning (ie building the biggest UK fanbase possible).

However, people on here, are in their anger being far too harsh on Jake. He is EMPLOYED BY THE BBC. Not just F1, either, he has fronted up various other sports coverage before. So he can hardly come out and say that 'the whole thing is a huge mistake by the tight-fisted BBC' can he? He's probably under pressure to talk up the fact that BBC have retained 50% of the races too. So stop blaming him, especially because he's the best F1 show 'front man' I can recall (Jim Rosenthal, anyone?). What worries me more is who will be the Humphrey/Brundle/Irvine/DC equivalents on Sky. Ed Chamberlin, James Allen and Johnny Mowlam? Or that muppet that hosts does the Indycar? Give me strength.

Andrew - Unregistered

July 30, 2011 7:44 PM

If Jake thinks that UK football is all the better for having SKY invest in it then I am sorry Jake, you are mistaken - Premier league is a joke and please don't get me started on players losing the passion to play for their country.

Cricket - well yes I admit cricket coverage and re-invention is a revelation, but then it was depserately in need of some cash.

F1 is already overflowing with cash and I am more inclined to think of this as pure greed by the FIA and a real kick in the fans nuts.

M Walker - Unregistered

July 30, 2011 9:40 PM

Good bye F1. Cannot be bothered to only watch half the season. Cannot justify paying extra sport subscription for one sport with possible adverts like in the ITV days.

I've watch F! for over 25 years, perhaps its time to grow up and tend the garden. The wife will at least be pleased.

Liam48

July 31, 2011 2:05 AM

Don't have a go at Humphrey... there is no way he can say anything bad about the deal as he is under current contract with the BBC and might be next year and heis a great anchorman... personally i think this is a crap deal and ripped us fans off big time... I hope sky sports employs the current presenters as I think they all know what they're talking about and provide great entertainment and i hope they don't have adverts during the show, also i hope they have the F1 Forum on sky sports because i can't see them doing it next season on the BBC...

BuckBundy

July 31, 2011 12:47 PM

Now I'm not sure what to believe.
The commentary share isn't reported anywhere else, and now the Mail and Independant are reporting that Sky are going to poach Brundle.
Crash reference James Allen, who was always a cock, and is probably still bitter that he lost the gig when ITV lost the coverage.

« 1 2 3  »