F1 » Walker laments 'free to air' loss

Murray Walker has called the loss of full-time BBC F1 coverage 'a tragedy', but admits that Sky will 'do a very good job'.

Artov

July 31, 2011 9:52 AM

I think Murray is right to point out the dangers of a reduced number of viewers. If F1 thinks it is bigger than its' fan base then it could be in for a surprise.

A big reduction in European viewers will be damaging. Perhaps Mercedes and Renault feel that India and China is where the future lies. I can only say ignore your domestic markets at your peril.

George Armstrong - Unregistered

July 31, 2011 10:03 AM

Yes a sad day indeed. I for one will stop watching F1 once the split comes.I know that quite a few of my friends have already said to me they will stop watching it. Murray Walker is right in his comments. Why pay for a licence to view only to be told you will only see half the races.

bsb is good for you - Unregistered

July 31, 2011 10:18 AM

Not surpised,it was bad enough when it was free but to expect people to part with their hard earned money to watch overpaid prima donna's driving aroud following each other.At least the motorbike boys earn their money.

Will - Unregistered

July 31, 2011 10:22 AM

I've been a F1 fan for many years, a big mclaren fan, this is bad news for F1 and british fans, i too will no longer be a fan as it is pointless following something you can not see live and there is no way i am paying sky for it, showing half live i dont agree with, if the bbc can not show them all then dont show any,

Thank goodness for the BTCC , full coverage on race day on ITV4 and to be honest a lot more wheel to wheel action,

IanM - Unregistered

July 31, 2011 10:41 AM

Very interesting words on the subject of pay to view by Murray Walker, quite the opposite of the Muddly talker we all know and love on the telly commentaries.
I am on Virgin cable and am thinking of cancelling because times are still tight. I can now watch most of what I want on Freeview. I am certainly not thinking of getting a Sky dish or whatever I need. Interesteing to note our European friends say F1 not been free to air for a long time but UK has been either licence fee or free to air for all my life and its difficult to see where Bernie thinks F1 pay to view is going to go in UK. Then again possibly one of Bernies long term end games Brit GP at Donington Park for 15 years anyone?

trisd - Unregistered

July 31, 2011 10:46 AM

I would have been less angry if the non-live races are going to be shown in their entirety.

I am aghast that the BBC has struck up a deal involving the Murdochs given that they have corrupted our police force, government and press.

On a personal level I only care about full race and qualifying coverage. I could live with half of the races not being live but the NEED to be shown in their entirety with a quality commentary team.

For one I am not convinced that the Martin and David are good commentators. Martin is bais towards certain drivers, has a penchant for waffling and if we are all honest their commentary is littered with errors andnot to mention condescending. They should research what Crofty and Ant do and you should really tune into Toby Moody and Julian Ryder for the Moto GP on Eurosport. I have been thankfully watching the Moto GP deferred on Eurosport to get away from the abomination that is the BBC MotoGP commentary.

How much is the BBC paying their Millionaire clu

trisd - Unregistered

July 31, 2011 10:47 AM

continued....

How much is the BBC paying their Millionaire club commentary team? I suspect that Martin's salary is more than that of the complete Eurosport Moto GP team.

As for being told that in the UK we have had it too good for too long. Well, I might have a few space pounds if everything in the UK was not vastly more expensive than in the rest of the world apart from Sweden. Musical instruments, electronic goods, fuel, internet etc etc are around double the price of continental Europe and North America. In many I ways we subsidise other countries getting things much cheaper. I think that most Americans would be horrified if they had to pay what we do for a mere 8MB internet connection and they would take to the streets if they had to pay our prices for food.

F1 is not a sport in its purest sense. It was conceived by car manufactures to promote their brands. So I am being asked to pay money to the family that has corrupted our country to watch a car advert.

Barry - Unregistered

July 31, 2011 10:54 AM

I live in Australia and from what i understand one hd won't be affected so we will get them all live.I do feel for f1 fans in the UK that haven't got or can't afford pay tv.If i had to miss half the races and only get highlights of the rest i would be very p..... off.

Hazel - Unregistered

July 31, 2011 11:03 AM

To the person who said in Europe you have to pay to watch F1 - where in Europe are you? In Spain it is on two TV channels and FREE. If Spainish viewers had to pay for it - they wouldn't watch it either. It will just push people to watch it illegally on the net.

I love F1 but I shan't be watching it when it goes to sky, why I refuse to help Murdoch fill his pocket and the fact that I totally disgree in having to pay to watch it. The same with rugby, I won't watch it on sky either.

It's ALL About greed and I disagree with the greed culture :( Plus what's the point of watching half a live race or rather watch a non live race - not worth it, won't be the same. Shame on you Bernie who if I remember correctly had said it was not going to go to Sky! As always Bernie says one thing and does another grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »