F1 » Marko hints at Ricciardo’s Red Bull future

Daniel Ricciardo in pole position to replace Mark Webber when he decides to leave Red Bull

Fritzdude - Unregistered

August 04, 2011 12:36 PM

It may defeat the purpose of STR, but I think that it became less attractive to Red Bull once they couldn't share chassis. I suspect that as soon as the right offer comes along, it will get offloaded.

I would be more annoyed if I was SB or JA at STR! They were nervous enough when DR was the third driver. They must have heaved a sigh of relief when was shunted to HRT - and then this happens.

Don't get me wrong though. I think DR has the brightest future of all of the up and coming Red Bull drivers and by 2013 would be well ready for the step up to RBR.

blzbub

August 04, 2011 12:38 PM

christian horner will be running away from eddie jordan in spa, and he might be ushering mark webber away from microphones too, the drivers championship may be safe(ish) but they are under attack in the constructers chase, helmut wont be helping the team right now.

Ben M - Unregistered

August 04, 2011 12:56 PM

This will no doubt annoy the Toro Rosso drivers, but at the same time I'd be happy to see Ricciardo in a Red Bull. "Disco Dan" is far more interesting than Alguersuari or Buemi! :p

richard

August 04, 2011 1:17 PM

you should really read the story. yes, helmut has HINTED that dr COULD replace mw WHEN mw retires. but it will be subject to dr performing and possibly after coming through str. i can see dr at str next year, (but who will be replaced?), and then after a year in str, and assuming he performs, he would be moved up to rbr. also note that helmut said it depends on what mark decides.

Googolplex

August 04, 2011 1:33 PM

Every interview I have seen of Daniel, he has impressed me immensely with his sincerety, intelligence, modesty and diplomacy. He will be a marketers dream if he can step up and get a seat at RBR in 2013.

I admit I am wearing my Aussie Rose Coloured Glasses, and my vision gets particularly rosey with Daniel because he's a West Aussie.

Wolfy35

August 04, 2011 2:28 PM

@ James Montgomery

It was always known that Red Bull, who Ricciardo is contracted to, Had struck the deal with HRT to pay for him to be in the car. May sound pessimistic to some but in these days of restricted testing paying for a driver to get time in another team's car is a cost effective way to get them experience in a car & therefore evaluate them as a possible future driver.

Wolfy35

August 04, 2011 2:31 PM

PS

Under the team ownership rules that came into force 2 seasons ago Red Bull are no longer allowed to operate TR as a satellite team they must operate independently that is why both teams now have to use different engines & chassis even if both teams have the same owners

Boss B - Unregistered

August 04, 2011 2:49 PM

They should at least test Buemi and Alguersuari in a red bull to see how competitive they are against vettel.

All that money they spent developing those 2 and they just put them aside. wow