F1 » F1 2011 POLL RESULT: Fans set to shun Sky

UK F1 fans turned off by new BBC/Sky Sports TV deal, with 51.84 percent saying they will not pay to view the sport on Sky.

ferret .

August 12, 2011 12:53 PM

I got sky, but NO WAY am i paying Sky Sports to watch F1.
I only pay extra for British Eurosports and that will be it!
I will only watch the live races that will be on BBC as of next season.
Sky may do a good job of it all, but no way am i paying extra to watch F1.
Paying a licence fee is more than enough to watch tv and only, Sort it out BBC you make enough from us licence fee payers as it is and now you break all the rules and kill of F1 by getting Sky on the Band wagon!
Bernie said originally that if sky tried to get into F1 he would block it!
HUH, So much for those reasurring words Bernie, it is just money money money, us fans do not count these days!

Cobalt

August 12, 2011 1:04 PM

This poll is badly designed as it asked 2 questions in 1 so the result is split in half.

If it was one question: would you pay for watching F1 probably ~97% would say NO (not 51.84%).

blzbub

August 12, 2011 1:28 PM

Limit the ability of the general public to watch sky f1, the well heeled will watch and obtain merchandise, leaving the commoners to watch soap operas and xfactor, bernie in particular has no interest in those with limited cashflow, thr beeb dont care because we pay for the rubbish they broadcast anyhow, unless fans are going to form there own series nobody cares!

cas - Unregistered

August 12, 2011 1:39 PM

to me its not only the money that makes me not want to watch, its a moral stance as well. After all the phone hacking that Murdoch's news corp have pretty much got away with, I refuse to give them any money at all, I dont buy the sun any more and I won't pay for sky at all.

as of the last race of this season I'll be saying goodbye to a sport i've followed for the last 30 years (I'm 32 btw) I know half the races will be on the BBC but I wouldnt watch half a film then check on IMDB for how it finishes.

The wayI look at it at the moment is that I would'nt reward my dog if she took a crap on the carpet, I dont see why old Bernie and Rupert should be any different.

Cubikrube

August 12, 2011 1:50 PM

I have Sky already so will probably be watching this but that doesn't mean i agree with it.

The thing i've been wondering is why the sponsors aren't kicking off, they pay a lot of money to have their names plastered over the cars/teams and by going on Sky they lose some of that exposure. The sponsors must want it on free to air surely?

It's a shame as i absolutely love the BBC coverage, think they have done an awesome job of bringing F1 to the masses and managing to keep it interesting for new fans and old

Adey - Unregistered

August 12, 2011 2:02 PM

Absolutely agree with the majority of the posters here on this subject:

I will not pay extra to watch F1 on Sky, I don't want to watch only half the races live - and so I have no choice but to give up on a sport I have LOVED for over 40 years, since I was 6.

The greed of Ecclestone, the BBC, Sky, and particularly the FOTA teams has disappointed me, and I am totally disillusioned with a sport that I once loved. I went to a FOTA Fans Forum to "be part of the sport and give my views" what a waste of time that was!

Zebbers - Unregistered

August 12, 2011 2:13 PM

Not only are many thousands of fans not prepared to watch Sky, they're not prepared to watch the BBC either beyond the end of this season.

If anyone wants to scroll through the 10,000+ comments on the BBC Sport blogs you will find this to be the case.

We have never had Sky on account of Murdoch being a morally bankrupt human being. It would seem that the BBC are heading the same way.

If I were a team principal I would be getting seriously concerned for the future of the sport in this country - and by extension - the job security of the teams based here.

Marko - Unregistered

August 12, 2011 3:13 PM

None of what we're doing will make any difference, i.e the polls and protests

Its a business, not a sport, and as long as those involved get their money, then this pay to view deal will remain in place, regardless of how small the audience is. Just look how quickly the teams went from being against pay to view to suddenly being for it once the financial figures were released.

If I had the extra money to upgrade to sky sports I would as I'm a F1 fan through and through, but the reality is that I don't. Like most other people, I'm trying to reduce my costs, not increase them.

Mark my words, as soon as the Bernie and the teams get used to any extra revenue, there'll be no turning back and free to air F1 will be gone.

1 2 3 4 5 6  »