F1 » Webber: Alonso pass would have been different with others

Mark Webber relives the most exciting moment from the 2011 Belgian Grand Prix.

MeymacTony - Unregistered

August 29, 2011 11:34 AM

The move had me holding my breath - but as Webber says Alonso is professional - I am not a fan of Alonso but he showed superb judgement / control . I remember his passing Schumacher (I think) at Spa when he was in a Renault round the outside at the fast left before the Bus Stop.Button was superb yesterday

Number6 - Unregistered

August 29, 2011 11:37 AM

How lucky for an idiot like Weber that he could trust Alonso going 2-wide into Eau Rouge...like he couldn't have waited until Kemmel with the DRS...Webber and his constant whining about safety, yet he always seems to find a way to get into stupid dangerous wrecks...say what you want about it being exciting, it doesn't change the fact that it was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

CommodoreS

August 29, 2011 12:02 PM

Hey Number 6 who is 2nd in the championship.

Who has vast experience with F1 and Motorsport in
general

Who acknowledges his competitors ability and bases
his decision upon that factor.

Does not sound like an idiot to me.

Well done Mark. A great moment in a great race

Matt - Unregistered

August 29, 2011 12:06 PM

Webber just concretes even more that he is the best overtaker and defensive driver on the grid, Koby being the 2nd best. Big respect to Alonso for taking that move like a champ.
Number 6, I find your comments to be completely stupid, is this racing or a paper mache contest. No offence but grow some balls mate. I'm sick of people on this site who could'nt drive a hot knife through butter, making comments like they know what they are talking about. The general public could'nt take a 25kph hairpin at 50kph, yet think they are some kind of racing guru's. I respect arm chair experts but not pin heads.

vodka n orange - Unregistered

August 29, 2011 12:16 PM

As I said on F1 Fanatic, if that had been Hamilton or Vettel alongside Mark thru Eau Rouge it would have ended in disaster....F1 dodged a bullet yesterday and we can all be thankful for that!!! Fernando is not 1 of those drivers who likes to block others or make it difficult for them to pass if he knows he cant compete with them, and he almost rolled out a red carpet for Vettel when Seb retook the lead. Fernando shows the others that safety is more important than selfish aspirations and a reckless attitude to your co-drivers. viva Alonso Forza Ferrari!!!!!!!!!! #:)

blzbub

August 29, 2011 12:27 PM

I dont think mark was making any inference to vettel at all, vettel hasnt caused any accidebts this year, i thought my eyes were going to bleed as webber and alonso headed into eau rouge, jenson button , massa, rosberg and even schumacher along with alonso and webber perhaps need to have a word with the accident prone hamilton, or would that be seen as victimisation?

Firestorm - Unregistered

August 29, 2011 1:32 PM

Ferrari is a sheet team.In the same car there is no way that drivers like Vettel,Webber and Button can finish ahead of the great Alonso.I fera that this year Alonso will finish fifth in the standings at the end of the championship.I can't watch anymore the 2011 F1 season,I will wait for the next season.

Dee - Unregistered

August 29, 2011 1:33 PM

To be honest, I think moves like these show why Alonso is the best driver on the grid. Webber and Alonso are, from what I understand, quite good friends and Webber could bank on his understanding that Alonso would yield knowing that Webber had won the corner. With anyone other than Alonso, it would be bordering on suicide to try a move like that. The result for us racing fans? Great racing! I can't remember the last time I actually held my breath and thought "oh, #@%$#!!" like that. It was great racing...

1 2 3 4 5 6  »