F1 » Tributes pour in for Martin Hines

Motor racing stars from a variety of disciplines have paid their respects to Martin Hines, the man who put karting truly on the map and launched the careers of so many young British drivers

Skid Carrera - Unregistered

August 31, 2011 2:37 PM

Gone too soon. I never met Martin, but I respect the influence he's had on more than one generation of motorsport hopefuls, and it's always sad when somone has to leave the party early. RIP.

Dave Wilson - Unregistered

August 31, 2011 4:09 PM

Visionary man you have to say and his ability to groom talent was legendary. I actually worked for him briefly and saw a very different man to the one in the media, enough said.

hawth - Unregistered

August 31, 2011 6:58 PM

Never really even heard of this guy but having read the comments i can understand what a legend he was, and what a legacy he leaves for motorsport. Thoughts are with the family.

ads - Unregistered

August 31, 2011 9:00 PM

met him a number of times and spoke to him only a month or so ago. a great man who had time for everyone. very sad news and a great loss not only to the world of motorsport but to the world in general. RIP. Thoughts are with his family.

Bruno - Unregistered

August 31, 2011 9:08 PM

You were part of the british motorsport, Martin but you will be remembered not for that only. Your strong vision and commercial capacities have always amazed me. Smart guy and giving all his energies to the latest project he had during his working life: position GPR at the pinnacle. You lost only one battle, the worst,the most important. My thoughts are with Luke and the family.

Robert Wills - Unregistered

September 02, 2011 7:16 PM

World motorsport has a huge chunk missing from it, my Great Uncle Frank, who owned a cycle/motorcycle shop in Granthan, took me to see Martin Race on ocassion, he was an infectious, larger than life character, who was willing to help anyone, his knowledge both on track and technical will never be matched. Martin was the person I looked up to, and to whome I enthused him to my son Steven, his name was mentioned several times a day in our house. Now Steven is Karting, and so many others around the world are karting, as a hobby or progressing up the ladder towards Formula 1 because of Martin. You were, and still are a legend, my hero, all our hero. RIP Martin. We all loved you.

Vince Munday - Unregistered

October 14, 2011 4:07 PM

Sad day when I heard Martin had passed away,I have known him since the early 1970"s when I was racing Zip karts on long circuits and more recently through my business.He was always very helpful although time was limited as he would be racing at these meetings himself.Would often joke after many years of signing checks to zip karts it seemed funny to get his autograph on a checks to me business.Martin knew the right way ahead,karting would not be what it is today without his vision.
He will be sadly missed.