F1 » Webber: IndyCar situation 'not right'

Mark Webber says IndyCar can learn from F1 after the death of Dan Wheldon

richard

October 21, 2011 8:23 PM

droog. it all depends on your definition of those who watch races. yes, there are the voyeurs who would love to see the smashes, and then there are the true FANS of motorsport, who DONT want to see crashes.

Droog

October 21, 2011 8:31 PM

@Richard,
that's right, and I'm one as well. But unfortunately the vast majority where I am are voyeuristic. And totally uneducated about Motorsport in general.
As I've said elsewhere, Seb's second WDC got NO coverage, and the Wheldon death is still trending everywhere. That contrast kinda speaks for itself.
Edit:
Just got this from The Telegraph, back up my opinion from the horses mouth.

"In an interview over the summer, Bernard said that "danger will be an important element of the sport" as IndyCar looked to attract bigger crowds, as well as rivaling NASCAR for increased excitement and risk.
Bernard, who has been in the post since last March, added that changes to restarts would mean more "carnage and wrecks".

Nuff said.

nosense - Unregistered

October 22, 2011 12:19 AM

The solution is clear...

Forbid Full Oval races but Indy 500 and place a calendar where acommodate half Ovaltracks with an infield just like at Daytona or F1 US GP at Indy...mixed with traditional road tracks and Street Courses.

Next year's Dallara cars will improve safety drastically and whatever measures are in place there won't be this crappy tubs around again... they were deadly traps.

CommodoreS

October 22, 2011 1:26 AM

# Yirmin

Yes I am a Webber Fan but please see logic.

I am offae with heavy vehicles and competitive motorsport of a high degree.

A couple of members on this forum know my position.

We have lost a member of the Motorsport Community
which is tragic. It is not a moment to create debate.

MR - Unregistered

October 22, 2011 2:15 AM

Droog's right - and not just on the racetrack - you know the most dangerous part of a wreck (accident) on the freeway? - it's on the other carriageways from the damn fool rubberneckers - who think nothing of coming almost to a stop from 65-70 just so they can stare at some poor guy's problem on the other side - and bingo - major wreck on that side.

On a Friday night at my local dirt oval, if/when there's a wreck on the front straight in front of the grandstand - the crowd dives down - got to get a look - OK, it's usually just some bent metal, but even so.....

Rob01 - Unregistered

October 22, 2011 3:56 AM

When I view IndyCar two things come to mind, boring and daft. They could learn enormously from Formula One but is the will there I doubt it.
Posted by elijah (10 hours ago

You must be joking or just started watching. F1 is becoming closer to Indy Racing than the other way around. The F1 cars are now spec cars, just like Indy. Different engine but equal on all fronts. Just a little confustion for the average fan. Next year Indy will have different engine manufactures as well.

Dave C

October 22, 2011 9:16 AM

WOW, I think Mark Webber is a pretty smart guy and a great driver but, He's never even sat in an Indy car and is therefore not qualified to offer opinions on the relative merits of F1 vs. Indy cars. I havn't seen any comments yet from any of the few guys who have experience in both series. Until I do I think most of us are speaking out of turn.
Not everything in the U.S. is oval based. Sports car racing is alive and well here and growing all the time, exhibit the Rolex/Grand Am Series.

jigger80 - Unregistered

October 22, 2011 10:25 AM

this whole statment seems to be baised on the type of track they race on, so how he can say motogp is more dangerous from a track point of veiw baffles me as 95% of the tracks are used both in F1 and motogp, if he means its more dangerous as a sport why not add superbikes, BSB, etc. iv watched indy car racing for a few years now, and the drivers see the oval racing as a huge technical challange the fact he has never raced one, sat in one, dare i say it never seen one live in action makes me think he should not comment on the sport.

The turkey - Unregistered

October 22, 2011 12:38 PM

@Dave C - you need to get out more, just see what drivers like Nigel Mansell & Mark Blundell are saying. Webber himself was good friends with Dan Wheldon, also Will Power who was injured in the same crash so he's much closer to the situation than most people on this forum.

@Yirmin - give it up mate, you are just making a fool of yourself. I think Webber knows quite a bit about slipstreams, he spent a good part of last weekend being towed around by a Mclaren.
Between yourself, Webber and Commodore there is only one idiot, and I am not insulting Commodore when I say this.

« 5 6 7 8 9 10  »