F1 » New Jersey F1 race confirmed

F1 to race in New Jersey from 2013 onwards

f1fanaticfan - Unregistered

October 26, 2011 2:56 PM

(A) New Jersey does have recent motorsports history as they are part of the Rolex Series (B) If you haven't relized every year Bernie is trying to extend the F1 calander so we could potentially have 21 races remember this season was supposed to have 20 until Bahrain had their issues.
(C) Also Tilke has had his fair shares of decent tracks,

Droog

October 26, 2011 3:15 PM

@Frank
Absolutely. The song is right, 500 channels and nothing on.
But, at least WE have a choice. In the UK, they don't and it's their own fault.
I live in Canada, and luckily I have access to US and Canadian programming. I also have an unlimited internet account in a country with pretty lenient copyright laws (for now). So maybe I'm in the best spot on earth at the moment for access to media. If a broadcast station isn't legally available to me, I have choices.
So do the Brits, but they would have to change their whole Gov't to come close to where we stand. My point is, they are reaping the benefits of consistently voting in a Nanny State since ww2 and should quit whining and do something about it.

Frank G

October 26, 2011 3:16 PM

@ Droog What in the h are you talking about? I pay 70 bucks for TV here and have so many commercial breaks that many times I just walk away... So where is the pay TV with no commercials? Of my 100+ channels, half are a bunch on infomercials, another bunch in a foreign language and so on... TV here in the US (assuming you live here too) sucks and you know it...

G - Unregistered

October 26, 2011 3:31 PM

The topographical maps of the circuit look impressive. Given the location in the heart of a major metropolis across the river from one of the world's major cities, I have a hard time imagining this not being a huge success.

As for New Jersey's interest in motorsport, I can attest that there is a large population of enthusiasts for road racing, and most are excited about F1 coming to our backyard. There are at least 5 road courses within 3 hours of NJ (NJ Motorsports Park Lightning and Thunderbolt, Watkins Glen, Limerock, Monticello, Pocono's infield, etc). Almost every non-winter day at these tracks is booked with professional racing, amateur racing, or high performance driving schools, run by multiple enthusiast car clubs. While I would like to see a race at the Glen, or at NJMP, I think for F1 to gain major traction in the States it needs to be making some noise in a highly populated area.

richard

October 26, 2011 4:22 PM

there have been a number of "deals" announced, in the past, claiming that an f1 race would be held. then, after the publicity and ephoria, there is a pull out. remember rome? and if there is a second us race, who is going to lose out? one of the tracks that were built on say so of bernie, and are now losing hand over fist, such as korea or turkey? and isnt munbai now entering the picture. soon we will have 100 f1 tracks for 20 races. wow!

UncleSam

October 26, 2011 4:29 PM

Bernie has finally done something right! This is by far the best move he has made to grow F1 in years. F1 fostering growth in the third largest nation in size and population, but with the highest total personal income per capita, is wise beyond words. By holding two races in the US, he is addressing the issues that BMW, Toyota, and Honda had with the sport. Their largest and primary markets were not being addressed and therefor the value of participating was not present. Hopefully this inspires them to rejoin the grid again, and encourage others to compete as well. As far as the location is concerned, it was also a very wise choice. The metropolitan New York area has a population equal to that of Australia, but crammed into an area 250 times smaller. This event is a win for the sport, the sponsors, the teams, and the fans.

F1 fan nyc - Unregistered

October 26, 2011 5:20 PM

I don't think anyone realizes how hard it will be to get in or out of this event. I love F1, but I wouldn go to Weehawken on any given day for anything, it's just too much hassle from Manhattan, unless by helicopter. This event will be popular for it's inaugural event for sure, but too much hassle for most New Yorkers. It would be easier to fly to Texas from NYC for an F1 race. As an aside, Watkins Glen anyone?

Pam

October 26, 2011 5:39 PM

F1 magnet is correct. I grew up in Scotland and currently attend the University of Texas. I love Austin! Not sure that translates into F1 success. I do like what I've seen of the New Jersey track though, looks cool.

flyersf1 - Unregistered

October 26, 2011 6:42 PM

I can picture this circuit I am familiar with the area its going to be a spectacular race there are some good hills and twisty roads...I picture them flyin down jfk blvd east thru the twistin hills then down the steep hill and fly along river bend road its gonna be sick!! Usa all the way I call it destiny that f1 is coming right in my backyard!!

« 1 2 3 4 5  »