F1 » Button: DRS will spice up Abu Dhabi

Jenson Button: It's usually been quite difficult to overtake here, especially last year, but I think that DRS will change all that. The back straight is one of the longest in F1 so I expect to see a lot of action there...

Piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 9:53 AM

Your statements about leader/DRS/fastest lap are incorrect - the leader DOES get to use DRS, and if timed right he gets a bigger benefit,because the leader can cruise up behind a backmarker at the trigger point, the backmarker then gets blue flagged out of the way and the leader gets a clear uncontested dose of DRS benefit, with the line HE chooses into the next corner, not a line compromised by trying to overtaking a competitor.

ilovesushi

November 08, 2011 10:16 AM

I'm back, having been blocked by someone who does not like my responses. Wonder who that might be? anyway, as I was saying:
richard, actually, you are incorrect.
This old proverb says, and I quote: "There are none so deaf as those who will not hear!" attributed to the English man, John Heywood, in 1546.
And as for Schu not needing drs, you are right he did not need it, (apart from the fact that it was not available), instead he had Todt who got on the radio and said "Rubens, let Michael past for the championship!" and this bull happened a lot during the glorious Schufest years.
And you all think drs is contrived.

dcts46 - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 3:37 PM

@ 107SS2009
The point I was making was that the drivers who haven't adapted ( or can't ) to the rule changes are bound to be less happy than those who have , and I was talking about all the changes not just DRS .
As for DRS , for every overtake a driver performs using DRS over a season , there are probably just as many pulled on him . So in theory it should even itself out , except if your initials are SV when you haven't seen any other cars all year .

107SS2009

November 08, 2011 4:47 PM

Dcts46, at least we agree on one item (SV).
Now let's for a moment forget about rules, fairness, gimmicks and the lot, I would like to ask you the following question, when an FI race is under way do you enjoy a car overtaking another using the DRS, do you feel exited when you know beforehand that's going to happen?.
Well some that WOTCH FI racing and mostly the younger generation thinks it is exiting seeing an overtaking move by the driver pressing a press to pass button but it hurts me/my feelings when I am following a race and a car/driver passes another by pressing a button, F1 racing was never meant to have such gimmicks.

Rob01 - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 5:28 PM

Velvet loves the DRS. He keeps it wide open during qualifying to secure pole position every race. He then no longer needs it. But anyone would be wrong to say he doesn't love it as he fully understands how to take full advantage of the driver aid. And F1 was Never to have such gimmicks but then again the F1 designation was never to be a spec series either.

dcts46 - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 5:32 PM

In all honesty , I do enjoy it . But I enjoy it because it is combined with tyres that degrade quickly , so there are times in a race when a "slower" car comes along on fresh rubber behind a "quick" car and can get past (sometimes without DRS ) . Yes its false , but I like mixed up races where at times it can even begin to confuse the commentaters . The worst feeling for me as an F1 fan is when after the first couple of laps you know the finishing order , which is why I also love wet/dry races . As for my age , I'm over 40 (just).

Rob01 - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 5:58 PM

Apparently Ferrari is Very happy with the DRS.

Fry believes that the overtaking problems that cost Alonso his shot at the title in 2010 will not be an issue this time around, because of the use of two DRS zones.

"Last year, as we found to our cost, overtaking was very difficult at this circuit," he explained. "However, we have seen a big change this year thanks to several factors including the DRS.

Are they over 40?

ilovesushi

November 08, 2011 6:00 PM

Come on richard, after what you wrote, this is my reply. It's time for your response........
richard, actually, you are incorrect.
And you all think drs is contrived.
Posted by ilovesushi (7 hours ago)

Rob01 - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 6:00 PM

To add. they have swiped the front wing of the wrecked Red Bull in Monza and have now found new speed. Unfortunately for them they will have to work out the flapping around that Red Bull first encountered when Vettel tried to kill Button with it. Maybe this is part of the unbeatable stucture Ferrari speaks of.

107SS2009

November 08, 2011 6:12 PM

Dcts, at least you are honest and trying your best to be.
Rob, earlier on this page I have tried to explain about the spec series thing and how and by whom F1 was pushed in that direction I also explained the consequences/results of such policy namely that F1 racing was becoming boring with lack of any overtaking, this was attributed by all to the so called dirty air, a product of the modern aero package, this aero package was in turn a result of the teams total concentration on aero as they was left with nothing else to concentrate upon by the FIA arbitrary rules/restrictions on all things mechanical and now we have a situation that F1 racing had to introduce PUSH TO PASS BUTTONS to spice up the race and the racing is now great as some so called F1 RACE WATCHERS can see a driver press a button and effect a pass.
Sushi, you may not know it but you are truly belittling yourself by writing such trash about a driver of the calibre of MS.

« 3 4 5 6 7 8  »