F1 » Montezemolo plays old hand again

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo again tries to throw his weight around - but is it for real?

cknopp - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 6:27 PM

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out, Monty.

First of all, using the term "less aero dependant" is retarded. Any car that is trying to go fast outside of a vacuum will have to deal with drag. Some teams do that better than others, so this is sour grapes.

Second, in season testing is fine if it is equal for all. But now you run into the fact that if RBR is 1 sec/lap faster BEFORE testing, they will still probably be 1 sec/lap faster AFTER equal amounts of testing... It is possible to shrink as you near perfection, but this isnt that close yet.

Third, on the talk of 3rd cars... I hate the idea of "junior" teams. If you are going to allow customer cars, they need to have works-spec parts, like the engines... Removing the bottom tier and moving them to mid tier helps nothing. If you are going to go this far, lets have 4 constructors and 24 car grids, where each constructor has 2 customer teams.

cratchet - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 8:42 PM

Monty 'without Ferrari there is no F1'

Who are you trying to kid - NO team or driver is indispensible, I dont know how many teams have been through the F1 padock and out the other end over the years some without even leaving a trace of having ever been there. I admit that Ferrari are one of the stalwarts - but that doesn't make them indispensible.

I wonder how long would it take after their exit for another team to paint their car red?

EDIT by CRASH.NET! Inapropriate comments removed.

cratchet - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 9:15 PM

Crash - I fail to see what was inapropriate in my comment that you saw fit to edit it without any explanation.

All I did was question how many toys Monty had in his pram as he seem to be throwing a lot of them out.

Or is it that the moderator is a Ferrari fan?

DBL

November 08, 2011 10:44 PM

Montezemolo in the running for Italian PM.!! Dear god he'll be at the EU meetings asking for his country's debt to be recalculated. Claiming it's all Germany's fault because they asked for a different currency exchange rate on the Euro and that it was unfair to Ferr....Italy and under a fairer point sys.....currency rate Italy would actually be in profit. And what he says goes or he'll move Italy to Asia where they will run the country under his.....new fairer rules.

Taipan

November 08, 2011 11:05 PM

Point 1. I agree with most of the rule changes that Luca wants.
Point 2. I agree that F1 without Ferrari is almost unthinkable.
Point 3. Please stop threatening to quit F1 Luca, it's happening every other year now and it's getting old.

Thud4321 - Unregistered

November 08, 2011 11:15 PM

I know it's separate to this story, but am I the only one who's lost a lot of interest in f1since they sold out to sky, I'm just not botherd about it anymore . . . .

Just_Observing - Unregistered

November 09, 2011 3:42 AM

I agree that F1 should be the pinnacle of motorsport and quite frankly it isn't... I've been watching re-runs of a show covering F1 legends and just the variety of cars and design ideas in the 70's and 80's leaves current F1 looking like a control category...

As for Crash.Net editing posts I think its about time... far to many people that post on these forums resort to infantile insults & name calling to try and validate their point and its simply not needed from people that SHOULD be calling themselves adults!

Clondikemike - Unregistered

November 09, 2011 9:53 AM

I agree with Monty regarding testing and over reliance on aero. The third car bizzo is neither here nor there for me.

Lets face it Monty is doing what any good team boss in his position would and should do. If he can use Ferraris clout and muscle to gain an advantage then who can blame him.

F1 would survive without Ferrari no doubt but it would definitely take a financial hit and that is why the withdrawal threat works. Trouble is he will have trouble carrying the other grandee teams with him as Mosely is now out of the picture, who was the common hate denominator.

« 1 2