F1 » Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus Renault GP - Q&A

Kimi Raikkonen: I never really lost the passion for racing in F1, just maybe for all the other things around it. But when I did some NASCAR races this year I noticed that I was increasingly missing the racing side – to race against each other – because in rallying you really race against the clock.

blzbub

November 30, 2011 10:55 AM

Apart from the period between Jean Todt leaving Ferrari, and Massa's injury (who knows what was going on at that time!), there was never any doubting Raikkonen's commitment in good or bad cars.

cpwmonkey - Unregistered

November 30, 2011 11:09 AM

I like Kimi, and am glad to see him back, although I can't help question his motivation, especially with comments like "I watched the last 20 laps of the last race, the Brazilian Grand Prix, and because I knew this was going to happen I also watched how the Lotus Renault GP team did". Where is the passion and hunger in this statement?
Still, I'm sure through his inherent speed he'll be able to show Lotus where their car really is in the pecking order for 2012.

elijah

November 30, 2011 11:15 AM

Kimi, has answered all the questions in his frank upfront way, and he looks fit. Aside from the tyre issue, there shouldn't be any reason why he shouldn't slot right back into his usual place on the grid. In fact I expect the extra fast reactions he has used in rallying will be helpful to his return to form, and may make him quite a bit better.

Clondikemike - Unregistered

November 30, 2011 11:28 AM

The guy is too much an enigma to be able to predict what will happen.
The truest thing he said is that no one knows what he is thinking. Thats the way he is.
He could come out and settle down and just as likely do two races and decide its not for him and walk.
I personally think the guys tops. When he is in the zone he is one of the greatest drivers. When not he will just trolley round or retire.
Its a gamble by Renault and I hope it pays off.
And its not certain that Kubika will be his partner. I think Renault have hired Kimi because Kubs will not be returning, Petrov being the driver with big bucks backing.

BATJ - Unregistered

November 30, 2011 12:22 PM

No surprises here, Kimster is half asleep during the interview. But what he says and how he behaves has absolutely no connection to his track performance. I am sure he will be real fast right from start.

p1 - Unregistered

November 30, 2011 12:28 PM

Q:
Kimi, good news today, you have decided to come back to F1. Why are you coming back?

Kimi Raikkonen:
Because I wasn't very good at Rally.

To be honest, I didn't rate him that much just a slightly better Massa.

MrQwerty

November 30, 2011 12:58 PM

@p1

How easy do you think rally is? Citroen said that he had the speed of Ogier and Loeb, he just needed to adapt to listening to pace notes. And did you mean better than 2009 spec Massa or post injury spec Massa

mumblingfin - Unregistered

November 30, 2011 1:12 PM

This team needed to do something. Then couldnt just sit on their hands and hope kubica would come back fit and able. Cars without bizarre and clever exhausts may be a bit more even next year also.

sodesu

November 30, 2011 1:25 PM

Elijah, he's a racer, not an F1 fan. I've seen other drivers make comments like this and I remember being surprised the first time I saw it. But it kinda makes sense really. I mean, Rubens was pretty vocal in that recent BBC interview about his passion for F1 as a whole, but Kimi has never been that way. All he ever wanted was to drive fast cars, win and have fun. And so, why would he want to sit around and watch others race?

1 2  »