F1 » Gascoyne: I’ll always be proud of Lotus work

Mike Gascoyne says he will always be proud of the work carried out under the Lotus name in F1

richard

December 06, 2011 2:29 PM

mike might be proud, but he is probably the only one! and then to go on and say that from singapore, they were beating williams, sauber, and renault!!!
they were never near, unless one of these suffered a serious problem that dropped them down the field. no team lotus car beat them in a straight race.

p1 - Unregistered

December 06, 2011 3:34 PM

Lotus moniker or not they have done very well when you think about it, within two years they have fought hard to get a much better car, one which consistently finishes above the HRT or Virgin cars.
Don't forget they don't have years worth of data available to them to understand how to build a better car and in the short time they have done that and gaining more knowledge, compare that to HRT or Virgin and it puts them leagues ahead.

Good on them I say and I hope next years Caterham is better again

MR

December 06, 2011 6:32 PM

In his shoes, I'd be proud too. I seem to remember that the original Team Lotus took several seasons to achieve their first win - but I don't think they ever received such negative comments that we've seen from some here - different times, different standards, I suppose. The present team have made steps forward each season, including acquiring better equipment (engine and gearbox, albeit not the current 'box) to improve their package.
I hope they make further strides toward the front next season - and nice to see they will continue the livery in their new guise. It's all too easy to knock someone - a shame more don't look for the positives.

Nick - Unregistered

December 06, 2011 10:06 PM

Richard, I totally agree with both of your posts. Gascoyne is a very lucky man to be working with a group from Malaysia who in my opinion know/knew nothing of the sport, because they can't see through him. In their second season this team made up of personnel with years of experience in F1 and other motor sport, with a car that had the same running gear as the champions never scored a single point. How can the fool Gascoyne be proud of that he had two very experienced race drivers, and the competition who he claims to have beaten had rookies who I might add all scored points. There is nothing in two seasons to be proud of at all, and I expect more of the same from F1's biggest failure next season, but thank god they will fail under their own name all be it another clone.

Gascoyne will go through 2012 waiting for crumbs to fall from the table of others

Rob - Unregistered

December 06, 2011 10:15 PM

Gascoyne thinks he has achieved something in the last two seasons ....What zero points, my F1 team scored the same amount of points and I didn't have to even turn up.

I think he needs to take a little more water with it, life looks so good through the bottom of a glass

Taipan

December 06, 2011 11:52 PM

I don't get this love and respect for (fake) Lotus, yes they have been the best of the 3 new teams but that's like saying herpes is better than syphilis! personally I'd rather have neither!
As for Mike Gascoyne, I lost all respect for him last year when he was messing around arguing with fans on Twitter during a race! I would have thought he may have had more pressing things to deal with, like sorting out his crap team!

(edit at will Crash)

p1 - Unregistered

December 07, 2011 1:17 AM

You're all being ridiculous.
Red Bull entered 2005, took them 5 years to develop a decent car, they started at the bottom, like Team Lotus have and they were working with what was originally an actual team, they bought everything and rebranded it in 2005.

Gascoyne has started with nothing and has so far in two years made a fairly reliable car which most of the time is now finishing with the established teams or at least racing with them and not being lapped by the likes of Williams or Torro Rosso.

Get down off your high horses about whether or not they are the real Team Lotus, or whether or not Mike has done this or that with Twitter, he isn't the team, but he has put a team together that has achieved a lot in two years in the top flight of racing, they were not an established team bought up like RB, they are new if this was HRT or Virgin putting this up and they were doing as well as Team Lotus have would you complain then?

Why are you trying to shoot them down? Chapman didn't sta

p1 - Unregistered

December 07, 2011 1:20 AM

pt2
Why are you trying to shoot them down? Chapman didn't start instantly winning races when he entered motor racing, and just because Team Lotus were good back then doesn't mean that someone using the name now will be world champions instantly.

Why not just turn around and say, you know what Mike, irrespective of name in two years you have
Built a completely new team
Built a facility
Designed a car
Built a completely new car
Gone racing, beaten the other new teams in year 1
Year 2 you have built a new car again, and now you're finishing ahead of established teams in certain cases, you have beaten the new teams yet again, and you have made an ok car, well done.

I wonder whether you would be this upset if they came in as Caterham F1 from the start

Trying

December 07, 2011 2:34 AM

I think the problem was caused by using a respected old name and then only performing as an ,,also ran,, team.
They have managed to make the name Lotus into a joke. Unforgivable.
Mike has never been a good anything really, just like his team an ,,also ran,,. Why he is so proud of not really achieving anything is quite beyond me. With all the years he,,s wasted in F1 one might have expected him to have learned something useful, and applied it. To claim to have beaten two teams is a hollow victory as both those teams have been very obviously even less capable. This whole idea of F1 ,,on the cheap,, so to speak was idiotic in the extreme, typical head up his rear Max at his very best, creating a mad idea and then letting it run,
Pinnacle of motor sport my donkey, much more pea knuckle of motor sport in reality.

1 2  »