F1 » New line-up for Toro Rosso in F1 2012

All change at Toro Rosso for 2012 with Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne both getting seats

Filter Comments: All | Registered

Mark _

December 14, 2011 6:49 PM

While it is too bad that STR waited so long to announce this, they deserve some credit for not dropping these two before the season was over, as they have done with other worthy drivers. I don't know whats worse being STR driver or a Renault driver. Neither team is very loyal to it's drivers.

victor - Unregistered

December 14, 2011 7:15 PM

Both Jaime Alguersuari and Sebastien Buemi did not come into F1 with a bang as did Sennna Shuey Hammy Prost etc and I can understand the STR decision - try another two drivers

ste - Unregistered

December 14, 2011 8:55 PM

Robert Wickens deserved the STR ride more than Vergne, Wickens won that series over Vergne and was backed by Red Bull at one point. If anyone deserves a seat in F1, it's Wickens.

Taipan

December 14, 2011 9:50 PM

I'm quite surprised (for a change) I didn't expect that. I was never a fan of Alguwhatsit or Buemi but I thought Alguthingy had a fine second half of the season and was worthy of a drive next year.
I always thought Alguwhatever's main problem was that he was put into F1 far too soon, if they had given him a few years to learn his trade prior to F1 I think he would have done better.

sodesu

December 14, 2011 10:11 PM

I fully agree with that, Taipan. He was after all the youngest driver ever to enter an F1 race, came straight in from F3 to a car that has fallen behind in development ever since that season when Seb won with it. After which, coincidentally, the FIA decided that RBR and STR could no longer have a joint chassis development scheme... And now his F1 career could already be over. Frankly it's hard to say if they really did give him a chance or just plain ruined his career.

Trent - Unregistered

December 14, 2011 10:49 PM

Wow I really didn't see that coming. I really feel sorry for Alguersuari, I think he really proved himself this year and deserved one more year against a fresh driver.

I think Ricciardo will surprise a lot of people, including @Richard, and be very strong next year. It will be interesting to see how Vergne goes, I think the verdict is still out on him at the highest level - at least he can now put his money where his mouth is after talking himself up post the young driver test.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »