F1 » New line-up for Toro Rosso in F1 2012

All change at Toro Rosso for 2012 with Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne both getting seats

Filter Comments: All | Registered

derp - Unregistered

December 15, 2011 12:12 PM

Toro Rosso exist to try out new drivers and look for young talent to move onto Red Bull. Neither Alguersuari or Buemi are up to Vettel or even Webber's level, so they've both been dumped in favour of two new drivers. Not sure why people are surprised by this.

richard

December 15, 2011 12:17 PM

blzbub. when seb had his good results at str, he was in a rb clone. buemi and algi have both been driving an uncompetitive car that took a different aero direction to others (double floor), so it is impossible to rate them against seb.

siudh - Unregistered

December 15, 2011 12:27 PM

This is surprising, i thought the pair would be alguersuari and ricciardo, why did they sack the 2011 line-up? Alguersuari a lot of potential, really.

blzbub

December 15, 2011 12:33 PM

richard, not rating them against seb, rating them against the guy in the other car, vettel threatened those results while the str was racing the midfielders, he then made bourdaise look average/poor (i didnt think bourdais was poor).

CommodoreS

December 15, 2011 1:01 PM

So Richard what do you honestly now think of Ricciardo.

During the past you have been full of praise for Helmut Marko decisions.

My opinion Ricciardo is a good choice and his enlistment with STR will show his true talent.

He is a humble young man who will go about his trade in a professional manner

richard

December 15, 2011 1:17 PM

commodore. i said that this took me by surprise. and yes, i am at a loss to understand markos decision, especially as he had just told algy that if he got a podium next year, than he would be a shoe-in for red bull. maybe ricciardo will improve at str, but until a week ago, he did not even know if red bull were going to continue to suport him, yet no other team had approached him. red bull obviously have a reason for the volte face, and it is their decision, so i have to live with it!
to me he is not showing signs of being humble, in fact, on some of brundles walk-abouts, he has seemed a little cocky. i still cannot see him as being wdc material, no matter how much you ozzies want a new alan jones!
anyway, i know its early, but have a good christmas.

ps gail is over here at the moment.

CommodoreS

December 15, 2011 1:56 PM

Richard a week ago Daniel was given a 12 month extension with RBR and was linked with Caterham.

As for being humble he really is. We don't see any of Brundles walks so I can't make comment their.

As for being WDC material that is a big ask and I don't see it either but I do see a racer and not a pretender.

My thoughts are Buemi needed to be replaced and a wake up call. With regard to Algy yes it is a bit harsh but he only upped his performance once he knew his seat was in jeopardy during the last 6 months.

To early for Christmas Greetings at this time. We will speak before that. If not make sure yours is pleasant for yourself and family

Thanks for the other info

107SS2009

December 15, 2011 8:08 PM

Just a week ago after karting in Brazil I talked with Helmut Marko and Franz Tost and they told me they had plans for me in 2012, they did so with enthusiasm and showed a lot of confidence in me. Jaime Alguersuari Dec 15.

don waldick - Unregistered

December 15, 2011 10:32 PM

damnnnnnnnnnnnn its gonna kill me not seeing him in f1 and even more annoying seeing him in hrt....

those new drivers better have something to prove.
they all smiling now... would love to see both kova and trulli beat them

Trent - Unregistered

December 16, 2011 12:37 AM

I'm looking forward to the conversation about Ricciardo at the end of next season.

@Richard, you seem to be the odd one out with thinking that he did not perform to a descent standard against Tonio, which I still don't quite see how you've fairly made that call. I also have never seen any signs of arrogance from him, so I'm not sure why you've made that conclusion.

I think he is going to be a star next year, but will stand to be corrected if he underperforms. I've got my fingers crossed for JA to find a descent seat next year, I think he deserves one.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7