F1 » BBC boss defends Sky TV deal

Mark Thompson, BBC director general, defends the new F1 TV deal in place for 2012

Hartley Rollock - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 8:02 AM

When this drastic change to the coverage was first mentioned coverage of the Australian GP was stated. To any F1 fan this would mean the live event. Now I find it's a highlight programme later in the day, certainly not the choice of most fans. I hope this isn't the formula for the rest of the 2012 coverage but I suspect it is. Looks like Alex Murdoch is running the BBC as well as Sky.

pook - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 8:13 AM

just think how much money would have been available for programs if 800 million had not been wasted on the move to Salford, that would have paid for several seasons of full F1 coverage

K - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 8:21 AM

I have given up my interests in F1 after 30+ years.

I refuse to line the pockets of profiteers and I am seriously considering quitting the TV altogether. Utter nonsense the TV license and all the underhand deals going on and also overpaid presenters and rubbish news reportage plus the fat cat salaries being paid to executives making decisions a 3 year old could make quicker and for better purpose. PAH! BBC! UGH! SKY Dirty Rotten Scoundrels the both of them

Tiksop - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 8:43 AM

At the end of the day it's the sponsors who will decide what happens in the future.
I clearly remember Whitmarsh saying that it would be the FULL race coverage on BBC!! albeit later, As he was told by the poison dwarf (Ecclestone)The Dwarf speaks with forked tongue.
When the figures drop (if they do) the sponsors will ask why am I paying for less coverage and start to walk away. THEN the teams will start stamping their feet, I'm sorry but Whitmarsh should have stamped his feet before now, I fear they are waiting to suck it and see.

stigofthenest - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 9:10 AM

the thing that i find really gauling is that these idiots seem to think they're doing me a favour by showing the highlights at a more sociable hour..
the whole excitement and anticipation of a new season starts with that early morning pilgrimage to the tv when most sane people are sound asleep....and i love it! I DONT WANT TO WATCH HIGHLIGHTS.
take Canada 2011 as an example.. how much of the atmosphere are we going to get in a 2 hour slot?

i see the sky commentary team and im tempted, because as much as i dont want to fork out extra the alternative (stream/highlights) doesnt really appeal.

GIXXER - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 9:35 AM

The BBC have done it again, the distroyed the Motogp coverage and now they have done the same to the 4 wheel alternative.

BBC Leave motosport well alone, you take a great product and then treat the Fan's like sh*t with messing around the coverage.

We used to get 125, 250 and Motogp Live with Eurosport, then you came along and gave substandard coverage.

BBC please stop distroying Motorsport

GIXXER - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 9:38 AM

P.S. if you dont want to pay for sky, you will find a free stream of the sky coverage on the internet.

Whats more its perfectly legal to view as you not downloading, so dont let that put you off.

Martin - Unregistered

December 22, 2011 10:03 AM

As a Sky subscriber I don't lose out directly from this deal - indeed it looks like Sky's coverage will be more indepth than the BBC could ever hope to provide. I'm still unhappy though - the option of giving up the entire coverage to Channel 4 or Five was the only ethical option. They've instead hidden behind loopholes and promises that couldn't be kept to shaft fans of one of their flagship sports. The expensive Salford move has produced little benefit for the viewers, aside from putting Match of the Day in HD. I wonder if the far-left environmentalist element within the BBC have had an influence here? My anger isn't directed at Sky - they're a profit based business and have to maximise programme quality and appeal - but at the BBC, a bloated and biased organisation who we're all forced to pay for.

1 2 3 4 5  »