F1 » F1 Driver of the Year vote: 2nd

He might have had few obstacles standing in his way as he clinched a second straight F1 world title in 2011, but Sebastian Vettel clearly lacked a little something as you voted him only number two in your F1 Driver of the Year poll

ron'sgoldenboy - Unregistered

December 30, 2011 11:59 AM

Enrico, i see you as one of the few readers on here who post with a degree of impartiality along with richard, so surely you can see why Vettel has not come out on top in these votes. We have to give some people credit that they have voted looking to why Vettel has won this season against ex champions in such a dominant fashion.

Do you really think that Vettel is a 122 points better than Button in equal machines.

Big Azza - Unregistered

December 30, 2011 12:04 PM

It's very typical of this British dominated media. Every time a British driver does well - he is almost a God. Everytime another driver does well... hmmm... it must be the British car designer?
Going on all of this "it must be the car" debate:

Vettel trounced Webber this year in the Red Bull. Alonso trounced Massa in the Ferrari.

Vettel's better performance than his TEAM MATE is attributed to the British car designer Newey.
Alonso's better performance than his team mate is attributed to pure skill.

For the life of me - I cannot understand this reasoning. From my experience, Formula One fans are among the most ridiculously bias and unreasonable sports fans out of any sport.
These are the same fans who argue that F1 should allow for a free reign on development, yet moan about lack of driver skill in championship wins.
Vettel is the greatest thing since sliced bread. His performances in STR also prove this, particularly against a four time Indy Car champion as his team mate.
Another Ge

MattF1

December 30, 2011 12:09 PM

Silly me to think it was going to be an accurate portrayal...

Jenson was brilliant but 2nd best, Seb was the best driver of the year by miles it has to be said...

Hamilton should be about 21st on the list, if they bothered to do more than 10.

Schumacher should be above 'Boring Rosberg' and Paul 'I'm 4th on the list because I'm British' Di Resta...

Looking forward to some Schumi wins and podiums in 2012

Taipan

December 30, 2011 12:11 PM

Ron, Are you saying that I'm not impartial??

Now you've hurt my feelings :(

(I'm busy for the next few days so have fun and happy new year in advance)

Vettel voted second? kinda hard to swallow after an almost perfect season.

Big Azza - Unregistered

December 30, 2011 12:12 PM

Another German won 7 World Titles and still has his doubters and haters.

And then you have those ridiculous suggestions that Vettel needs to go back to a midfield team to prove his worth? WTF? While Lewis Hamilton - a racing God until last year, didn't have to prove anything? (Although that opinion may have changed this year?)

In my first ever F1 race that I watched - Monaco '08 Vettel came from second last on the grid to finish 5th. Of course he benefited from Monaco's usual high rate of attrition. Any other driver who would do that would be a God. And then who can forget Brazil '08?

Fuzzmadness

December 30, 2011 12:29 PM

What's with all the anti British comments!? its just a readers poll leave the nationality out of it. We are allowed to vote how we see fit, it has no standing in the real world its just for fun, nothing more than that. No grow up stop getting so het up, life is too short!

jimmers

December 30, 2011 1:03 PM

I am an English born Australian,
I don't really like Vettel.
I really don't like the finger.
I'd much rather see Hamilton, Button, Webber or even Alonso win the races.
Vettel was obviously the driver of the year, I can think of no sane argument against that, although I have seen plenty of arguments to the contrary here.

Taz

December 30, 2011 1:30 PM

Hmmm as a Scot and despite despite been mightily impressed with De-Rista, I'd think 6th/7th was more realistic.

Button was great but Vettel was the best, anyone who thinks otherwise voted based on popularity not the cold hard facts, Vettel should be 1st and Button fully deserves 2nd but not 1st.

I voted Vettel 10 and Button a 9.

ps

It is a UK site so don't expect a completely balanced opinion, run the same poll in Spain and Alonso would be 1st, it's the way of the world, don't just blame it all on the UK.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »