F1 » Senna: I'm still battling for a place in F1

Bruno Senna: My situation remains the same as before...

daz - Unregistered

January 07, 2012 6:44 AM

Ppl going on about his last name. Hill,villeneve,ralf schumacher. All got fathers /bothers who won in F1. but the got there on there own(maybe not villeneuve bernie ). Why shouldnt bruno do the same.I think most of the ppl on here just like to say drivers are no good if they win or not (lulu).I think bruno is good driver.Not wdc driver grant you .But in the right car he could win a race. If we look at the drivers trying to get the williams drive, How many have won the wdc 0, How many won a race 1 (RB only because he had the best car and still blow away by his team mates).What sutil Done not much his quick maybe on the right day .

richard

January 07, 2012 10:45 AM

daz. not true. hill came into f1 as a result of his fathers name, with all the apropriate fanfares. and as for ralf, when he entered f1, it was being proclaimed that he was there because of the schumacher name, and shouts about the first brothers in f1 (which was actually untrue. remember ricardo and pedro?)

NutBallRacer

January 07, 2012 2:21 PM

And besides the Rodriquez and Schumacher boys ...

Brabham - Gary and David
Brambilla - Vittorio and Tino
Fabi - Corrado and Teo
Fittipaldi - Wilson and Emerson
Scheckter - Ian and Jody
Stewart - Jackie and Jimmy
Villeneuve - Gille and Jacques (the elder)
Winkelhock - Joachim and Manfred

These are all the brother combinations entered into F1 races. Only 6 pairs have qualified to race. Only three have raced in the same race, and only two pairs have scored points in the same race. Finding out who those are will be your homework for the day, if you care.

NutBallRacer

January 07, 2012 2:38 PM

Here are the father-son combinations:

Graham and Damon Hill
Gilles and Jacques Villeneuve
Nelson and Nelson (jnr) Piquet
Jack and Gary and David Brabham
Antonio and Alberto Ascari
Keke and Nico Rosberg
Mario and Michael Andretti
Manfred and Markus Winkelhock
Satoru and Kazuki Nakajima
Hans and Hans-Joachim Stuck

jose - Unregistered

January 07, 2012 4:09 PM

Souvikb,
Nada Amigo, me no do no Stinking cool-ade!!!. MD2020 or
Capt Morgan, with ice please..
My view , F1 is the best that motor sports has to offer.
I did a littlie racing long time back(young crazy I was). I still
have my BT40 Atlantic car. For me, a scary, exciting time it
was. I think I have some Idea what driving F1 in competition
would be like, for me something Unreal..
The top 5 in 2010, in Motor Sports are the creme de la creme
That the way I see it, and that the way it is..
Mr. Senna is not now and willing to bet to be he will Never make the top 5.
Average driver he is, just the supporting cast, nothing more..

Old, Jose

NutBallRacer

January 07, 2012 7:19 PM

@ richard -- When you are talking fathers and sons, yes, the stats bear our what you say. In general, the fathers were better than the sons, with notable exceptions, the Ascari's for example, but there will always be someone who debates that. When it comes to older vs. younger brothers, the stats favor the younger brothers, with notable exceptions being the Stewarts and the Schumachers. Despite Jackie's and Michael's huge stats margin over their younger brothers, the stats still show the younger brothers performed better as a group. Worthless trivia, I know, but interesting.

NutBallRacer

January 07, 2012 7:32 PM

And Richard -- I don't think it is nepotism, unless you hire your children/relatives. That isn't what is happening. It is a "trade" environment - not unusual. Actually it is very old and traditional. The shoemakers son becomes a shoemaker. You see it in all kinds of vocations. It is an "environment of upbringing" thing. A fellow witnesses what Dad does, and becomes comfortable with it and wants to try it himself, not always, but quite often. It is easier and more likely you will become an engineer or airplane pilot, for instance if your father or close family role model is one. We also inherit our sporting proclivities by the same family associations.

Taipan

January 07, 2012 7:33 PM

Good question NutBall.

1. David Brabahm qualified, Gary didn't.
2. Vittorio Brambilla qualified, Tino didn't.
3. Teo and Corrado both qualified, but I think they shared the same car in '84 so didn't race together.
4. Emerson and Wilson Fittipaldi both scored at the 1973 German GP.
5. Jodie and Ian Scheckter competed at the same races.
6. Jackie and Jimmy Stewart both qualified.
7. Gilles Villeneuve qualified, Jacques Sr didn't.
8. Manfred Winkelhock qualified, Joachim didn't.
9. Michael and Ralf Schumacher scored at the same race.
10. Pedro and Ricado Rodriguez both qualified.

I think I only have 5 pairs qualifying :(

Edit, having a re-read obviously I can't count to six!.

richard

January 07, 2012 8:01 PM

ty. my, you have been busy on google! these could not be from memory! i must be honest and say that when i post info, i do it from memory, and just am not interested in looking up the stats. i doubt that i would have gotten all those though i might have been close.

nutball. yeah, maybe nepotism was the wrong word, but a number of these came into f1, not because they were exceptional, but because their brother/father was already in it. is there a word for that? and what i meant by forebearers, was that if a person was already in the series, then the follower-on, whether older or younger, never was as successful. you can probably prove me wrong?

« 1 2 3 4  »