F1 » Your views: Why no American in F1?

A feature written by Crash.net viewer Tom Boyers. Do you agree? Have your say, simply click on the 'Post your comments' link below...

JB218 - Unregistered

January 20, 2012 4:48 PM

Richard you make some very very valid points. Well versed. Uncle Sam's, as my own response earlier, is just a response to the previous disrespectful arrogance of another. Kinda like the you punch me I'm gonna hit you back mentality. As the aforementioned description of "Redneck Racing" would respond..."Don't start none there won't be none". People can critique our/my use of verbal usage and description all that you please but we all react alike when personally/nationally wrongfully labeled. You're obviously intelligent and common sense minded so you should understand an American rebuttal of being unfairly branded.

I completely agree with driver opinion. I don't care the nationality, just the skill. As far as the stands being empty, you are viewing a section mostly resticted to sponsors and expensive suites. The rest of the track not shown was heavily populated.

UncleSam

January 20, 2012 5:33 PM

@richard

You cannot be serious, can you? Please read through this thread and observe how many insults, generalizations, and derogatory comments have been made about Americans throughout. Then assume you were an American, is their behavior acceptable? I am assuming that you are a Brit, how would like if everyone bantered on about the lack of dentistry, freckles, and pale skin? I would think that you would be offended. So you may think whatever you like about me, but I will not stand by idly while people insult me or my country, especially when it is inaccurate.

As far IMS is concerned, it has 237,000 permanent seats and has an additional 200,000 temporary seats, so it is huge compared to 90,000 that most tracks, like Silverstone, can accommodate. I attended every race at Indy and the crowds were very good, each and every year.

UncleSam

January 20, 2012 5:40 PM

@richard

Please go to Youtube and watch what many respected motorsport industry professionals are saying about an up and coming American driver. Search for, Alexander Rossi Motorsport Industry Testimonials. I believe their opinions have much more credibility than those expressed by many here.

richard

January 20, 2012 5:58 PM

uncle sam. hopefully you are not including me in your comments. ok, some seem to be disrespectful, but if you read my posts, i was actually saying that rossi was the yank, most likely to get into f1. but dont forget, he has been racing in euro series, sometimes good, sometimes mediocre, but not exceptional at present.

and re the stands, there may have been a good turn out, but apparently only half of what an indy race would get. blow up the photo, and even the stands at the end are empty.

Mark _

January 20, 2012 6:17 PM

richard - out of frame to the right of that photo is where the majority of the spectators sit. Attendence at Indy was never a problem. I also find your theory about talented drivers flawed. You assume that all talented drivers want to race in F1 or abroad. That is not the case. I am sure that there are many drivers in most countries who could make the grade in F1, if they had the opportunity or the desire to do so. Talent is only a small prerequsite of what is required to get a chance in F1.

UncleSam

January 20, 2012 6:34 PM

@richard

The problem with the Indy race was never the attendance or the racing. Indianapolis is a blue collar working community, it did not have the discos and nightlife that Bernie desired. It was too common for Bernie, which tells everyone what they need to know that smug person.

Rossi finished third in the season points in GP3 in his rookie season and that is mediocre? He is putting up comparable results to what Hamilton did, and still is one of youngest drivers on the grid. He also has not had the benefit of a team behind him, providing connections and all the best equipment at every stop like Lewis had. The fact that he is racing in an Euro series also displays that there people in the colonies willing to sacrifice and do things the accepted way, but they still get no respect or credit for their achievements.

richard

January 20, 2012 6:58 PM

mark. no i dont think that all american drivers want to race in f1, but the subject of the thread was "why no american in f1". my interpretation was from the f1 side, not from the american side. if americans dont want to be in f1, then there is no problem, but if some are maintaining that there is a f1 block on american drivers, then i disagree with that, and that is what my posts were directed to.

unclesam. rossi did race in a1gp, and this is where i saw him. there he would have good days and then bad days. there was little consistency, and that is what would concern me. the fact that he is racing over here, probably shows that HE wants to be in f1, and i would say he is relatively close to a test. just needs to impress more.

UncleSam

January 20, 2012 7:24 PM

@richard

Rossi never raced in A1GP, you may have him confused with another driver. He also has already had F1 tests with BMW in 2009 and with Lotus/Air Asia this past year, at Abu Dhabi.

richard

January 20, 2012 7:30 PM

uncle sam. i go on memory and i was sure that he ran a numer of races in a1, either before or after marcos abortive showings. i dont watch gp3 so it is unlikely that i saw him there. did he run in superleague?

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  »