F1 » Your views: Why no American in F1?

A feature written by Crash.net viewer Tom Boyers. Do you agree? Have your say, simply click on the 'Post your comments' link below...

richard

January 20, 2012 7:37 PM

uncle sam. yes, i just looked up his record. it was ws by renault and gp2 where i saw him. but other than in the american series, he has been 3,4 and 9th. a reasonable performance, but hardly setting the world on fire. but as i have said seveal tmes, he is probably the most likely american in f1, at this moment in time.

UncleSam

January 20, 2012 8:16 PM

@richard

I think he has raced very well, given his equipment, and beaten vastly more experienced drivers like Ricciardio and Vergne multiple times, on tracks that he has little experience at. He has not been given the golden knickers like Hamilton or Button, he has actually had to work to get to where he is. But it is no different than SBK or MotoGP, Americans have to work 4 times as hard to get opportunities.

Droog - Unregistered

January 20, 2012 9:24 PM

Oh Boy!
I gotta chuck in my 2 cents worth on this one.
I didn't even read all the comments, but from my perspective, living in Canada, but travel a lot to the US. Drivers over here have no idea what clutch is, or what that funny third pedal on the floor is for. And they get all tense and nervous when they have to take a curve in the road. It's something that Europeans can't understand, there is SO MUCH SPACE here, I know many roads that are laser straight for 10 miles or more. And in the Cities, the limited access Highways are so sanitized and "safe", there is no real need for anything more than rudimentary driving skills. In Toronto, where I spend most (too much) of my time, the average speed (off rush) on the major highways is 130-140kph in a max 100kph country. The reason is that the roads were designed for that speed. So everyone tailgates like Daytona, and freaks out and loses it on the off ramps.
And apart from my standard rant above, the other reason is the almost total lack of

Mozartist

January 20, 2012 11:10 PM

@UncleSam

Since I got the most hits on this thread (positive majority), just know that I am not european but canadian. I'm a truck driver who works mainly in the states because I love going down there. I enjoy the people, the food and always had a pleasant time with borders and police officers in every states I had the pleasure to visit. So I will stand by my original post which has very little to do with your opinion of the people who have negative takes on the question. Peace and love, bro...

Mo :)

Mark _

January 20, 2012 11:50 PM

Given that almost everyone of legal age drives in the US and that it is very affordable to drive here it is no wonder that there are drivers of varying skill levels. In Europe there is a far higher percentage of non-drivers. Pehaps the financial requirement to drive in Europe helps to raise the driving standard.

Sinkento - Unregistered

January 21, 2012 6:38 AM

F1 can work in America, the only trouble is it hasn't found a track that works well or produces any great races that stick in the memories. I think that is what it is lacking, a great track. They tried to establish F1 with indianapolis, but that failed even with large turnouts. I guess it was down to how the road track was designed, it didn't have that natural flow like great European tracks like monza or Spa. I believe Indy could have worked brilliantly had it not have awkward turns that try to be European, but just lack that flow. From the start Indy should have been a monza style circuit.

For F1 to truly crack America, it must first be comitted to America and not bail out when a racetrack isn't performing well. It has to increase advertising for the race so it can compete with Nascar. The American GP must also become permanent, even if a track doesn't work(Austin), there is always room for another(Indy modified to be more high speed). Secondly F1 needs to find a great racetrack in

UncleSam

January 21, 2012 4:08 PM

@richard

Just to clarify my last comment, since you did not respond, it was made to display the hypocrisy that exists within your comments. You seem to believe that a driver whom has only secured domestic championships as unworthy of being in F1. You even contend that limited international success is indicative of a driver that would be unable to achieve F1 success. How is it that Button made it into the sport? He had two seasons of domestic low level racing and no international experience before being given an opportunity in F1. I think he has proven himself, over time, as worthy but his formative years don't justify a F1 test, much less a seat. There is clearly a double standard that is applied to Americans when compared to drivers from Europe. It applies to all forms of international competition, not just in F1.

UncleSam

January 21, 2012 4:10 PM

@richard (cont.)

How many BSB champions have had to win 5 championships and have multiple MotoGP top tens, just to get an opportunity in SBK? None, just as no other nations racers, but those from the US, are subjected to this standard. Please share your observations from the other side of the Atlantic, because mine are crystal clear from this side.

« 4 5 6 7 8 9  »