F1 » Williams: Senna no 'pay driver'

Bruno Senna has been hired on the basis of his future potential as much as the millions he can bring to the team, claims Williams' Mark Gillan.

Tommivo - Unregistered

January 19, 2012 2:45 PM

Sure...then why are we talking about more sponsorship. I guess, this is part of the contract not to pronounce those insulting words! Good luck Bruno Lalli

blzbub

January 19, 2012 2:55 PM

He was immpresive to get in the LRGP after being on the side lines for a while, and to do so at Spa was promising. But a few years back Pizzonia did a similar thing on a comeback qualifying sixth at Monza for Williams, and then he sunk without a trace. Bruno needs to beat Pastor, or the fealing that he gets the chances because of his name will be the most memorable thing about his career.

Si23 - Unregistered

January 19, 2012 4:24 PM

"Despite not a lot of experience in single seaters" lol, how does half a year in FBMW, 2 Years in Brit F3, 2 Years in GP2, an F1 Test with Honda, a season in an LMP1 Prototype, and 2 Years in F1 translate to "not a a lot of experience in single seaters". I would love to have been so hard done by and to have suffered such a lack of practice :)

Nit picking aside Hispaina were ( are ) a joke, and he was thrown in at the deep end last year half way through the season. I would be pleased to see Bruno do well and the Wiliams Car now back in Rothmans style paint and with Renault written on the side will bring back memories with the famous Senna Helmet plugged into the cockpit.

I shall watch with interest

no name - Unregistered

January 19, 2012 6:07 PM

I've posed this question before but I still don't get why everyone seems like they hate this guy so much. And then lately everyone is calling him Bruno Lalli. He has a right to bare his families other name. Hello? It is tradition to do that in Brazil. Ayrton could have done Da Silva but he chose Senna. So Bruno is really doing the same thing. What is everyone's beef. Personally I'm thrilled that the Senna name is back on the grid. Here's a good one. What's lulu going to do now. He really can't keep believing that his is Ayrton now because there is a family member in the field. I'm not saying because I think Bruno is going to match Ayrton I"m just saying that Lulu really shouldn't try to pretend anymore.

Essexredneck

January 19, 2012 7:31 PM

Now this really gets on my nerves.
He is pay driver because he pays Williams money to drive!!!
He's not hired on merit alone!!! Can we at least get that straight!
I don't understand why Williams are so touchy about it, its not like they can afford to actually pay a salary to a driver anymore. And that is one of many reasons why their time in F1 is limited.

Rob01 - Unregistered

January 20, 2012 2:10 AM

Hopefully the new Concorde will pay the teams better. It was a goal of toothless FOTA for that to happen. Ferrari was suppose to lead that charge but I think they signed already and took the goodies. And if you say he is a pay driver then so is Alonso. It very common for a sponsor wanting a good brand and driver for their efforts.

Dyke - Unregistered

January 20, 2012 11:49 AM

If Williams didn't need money so bad, they'd have probably stuck with Rubens. I think what Gillan means is that Senna is also talented, as well as bringing money to the team, whereas Maldonado just brings money to the team.
I don't get all the Bruno haters on here. Calling him Lalli is just disrespectful. He's taken the Senna name, as did Ayrton who could have used da Silva. Get over it. Funny how all teh Bruno haters all seem to be the Hamilton haters too....