F1 » Watson: Changes improved entertainment

John Watson backs Sebastian Vettel as an F1 great after a season full of entertainment saw him win a second crown

Matt - Unregistered

January 24, 2012 11:20 AM

Ah John, the days of crossing the line with 3 wheels and tyres is gone (Stephan Johansson 87 Germany)

I don't like the idea substituting real racing and it's spectacles for makeshift entertainment like DRS.

As for Vettel, his reign is over.

stu - Unregistered

January 24, 2012 12:11 PM

"We had the DRS, the drag reduction system, the reintroduction of KERS, the Kinetic Energy Recover System..."

Love the way he quoted the abreviations (DRS and KERS) and then told us what they stood for. Kind of defeats the object.

JOHN - Unregistered

January 24, 2012 4:19 PM

Ive had the greatest of respect for 'Wattie' and still do. He was in an era of exciting and dangerous racing but his comments disappoint me. How anyone can say today's F1 is good beggars belief....Even if I were an ex- F1 driver I would be putting my time and energy into anything but today's F1

ghog

January 24, 2012 10:27 PM

@fryingbacon - "Entertaining......but not motor racing. Just about sums it up for me."

LOL - NOT MOTOR RACING? - Get real - these Guys are not trundling around at 10mph and 5mph in the corners.

They are the real thing - performing an art we mortals could not contemplate.

Did you even watch, understand, read or see anything?

#1 - I saw some of the best motor racing for yonks - IE: Mark Webber overtaking Alonso at Spa in Eau Rouge - OMG - etched in my memory, no video or camera required.

What on earth were you watching or not watching 100%?

My opinion, post on some other for of "sport" - this can't be enough for you....................

DontTalkNonsense

January 25, 2012 9:44 AM

@ghog, I think we need to be realistic, and moments like Webbers were few and far between. The spectacle of DRS is basically a fake overtake. One car overtakes in the DRS zone, next zone that car is overtaken by said original overtaker!

TheFlyingPig - Unregistered

January 27, 2012 3:29 AM

Ghog, my comment was strictly in reference to Mr Watson's comment that the "rule changes in F1 led to a more entertaining season."

Maybe so. But no, handing an artificial advantage to the following (slower?) driver at the expense of the leading car in the form of DRS is not motor racing.

Neither is running on tyres calculated to disintegrate, not through technical shortcomings but deliberately to "enliven" the "racing", to "improve the show". (We may yet see Bernie standing at Eau Rouge, hosepipe at the ready.)

And what have I been watching? Over the years, Gilles Villeneuve, Jaques Lafitte, Nelson Piquet, Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Niki Lauda, Aryton Senna (in Formula Ford, F3 & F1), even Mr Watson himself.

Over the last 35 years.....several hundred race meetings. From Banger Racing in Cornish fields to F1 Grands Prix, via Formula Ford in Anglesey & F3000 street races in Birmingham and more or less everything in between. As for televised F1, I've seen damn near every race sinc

1 2  »