F1 » McLaren chief leaps to Hamilton defence

Martin Whitmarsh defends Lewis Hamilton after being questioned if he had 'had a word' with his driver over the off-season

blackstar.24.7 - Unregistered

January 29, 2012 12:51 PM

There is clearly an element of envy when is haters claims he is arogant because, 1) He loves to exhibit the certainty of purpose which separates winners from losers. 2) He has made himself one of global sport's highest profile figures thanks to his inspirational driving, and cool, youthful image. 3) He has established himself in the 5years of his career as unquestionably the greatest overtaker of the present generation in F1 before the DRS era, as well as arguably its out-and-out fastest driver.
I will agree with many that he can be the architect of his own misfortune as seen in the last 2 seasons, but my question on Taipan is, if you were to manage Lewis what would you change or do to bring his talent to glee?

Jayne - Unregistered

January 29, 2012 1:02 PM

Afernoon all.
JACKBEE: I am not a Hannah but a Jayne!
blackstar.24.7: What are you talking about???
Point 1: Arrogance.
Point 2: Arrogance.
Point 3: Jenson is up there with him on overtaking.
If I managed him I would ban his references to Senna. I would ban the use of the royal "we" and I would remind him that he is living the dream. Not many drivers have had the luck Lulu has had. Ant Davidson was never given the opportunity and Justin Wilson beat Mark Webber in F3000.

Googolplex

January 29, 2012 1:11 PM

Ronnie,

I am all for Lewis returning to being the Lewis of old, without all the hollywood. It was the Lewis of old who was so successful after all.

But please don't confuse a cheap bling image with glamour!! James Hunt might be comparable to a swashbuckling version of Jenson Button, but he was no Mr Glitz n Bling!!

Taipan

January 29, 2012 1:21 PM

Blackstar, since you asked me a sensible question I'll answer you.
Hamilton needs managed more than any other driver due to McLaren's over nurturing of him for most of his life, he hasn't matured enough to cope with F1.
If I managed him...

Point 1, F1 comes first, not being an American starlet.

Point 2, Never criticise the team in public, do it behind closed doors if necessary.

Point 3, Teach him to think while giving interviews, consider how his words will be percieved.

Point 4, Remind him that he is one of the luckiest young men on the planet, love every minute of his time in F1, stop whining because being an F1 driver doesn't last for ever.

Point 5, Think while driving, don't just throw it up the inside at any given opportunity, because it will probably end in tears.

Point 6, Stop thinking that you're bigger than McLaren and even F1 it's self, they will both continue doing fine long after you've gone.

blackstar.24.7 - Unregistered

January 29, 2012 1:52 PM

Taipan, Thanks very much for your reply. Your answer was very useful to me in trying to understand the amount of resentment mentioned against Hamilton here on Crash.
I Do so have a sense of humor and accept the negative remarks here as good clean fun. I do hope that he (Hamilton) finds himself a manager, one man enough to point out all of his flaws, and regard the mishaps of the past 5 yrs as Sins of Youth,and get on with his job as an F1 racer.

« 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  »