F1 » McLaren chief leaps to Hamilton defence

Martin Whitmarsh defends Lewis Hamilton after being questioned if he had 'had a word' with his driver over the off-season

JeffS86

January 29, 2012 12:20 AM

Mozartist,

Fair enough... As it sits I'd be surprised if Hamilton wasn't in one of the McLaren cars next year. If I were him, I wouldn't think it makes sense to go elsewhere. We'll see where his mindset is at throughout this season though. Time will tell I suppose.

From a hypothetical standpoint I'm not sure where else he'd go. Every driver wants to go where they will have the best chance of winning. The relationship between him and Alonso seems to outwardly have improved a bit as the years have gone on, but somehow I don't see that being an ideal move. Red Bull has Vettel and I believe they've (Horner or Marko, not sure which) made statements that such a pairing is unlikely. Mercedes needs to close the gap to the front 3 a bit, so McLaren is still the seat that makes the most sense.

Pole Position - Unregistered

January 29, 2012 12:33 AM

@ taipan You're amazing (lol). Are u an F1 fan? It seems to me the only thing or person u talk about is Lewis Hamilton. I can't remember the last time you wrote something that didn't include his name. It's really a sad commenatary.

Rob01 - Unregistered

January 29, 2012 2:28 AM

Taipan, I think you are the greatest fan boy of all. You spew your wiki knowledge and proclaim that you're some sort of sage. Get over yourself. A fanboy is a fanatic and I think you push into that catergory. Anti as it may be. Your consumed with Hamilton.

Pedro - Unregistered

January 29, 2012 2:41 AM

Off Topic:

Saw an advert this evening on Sky (first sighting for me at lest) that states the F1 Channel is FREE to all those with a HD Package. Seems uptake for the new F1 channel has not come up to expectations, so they're now giving it away. This has to be good news for all F1 Fans that would have normally watched this on the Beeb (BBC).

Lets hope it's a good omen for the coming season, Good Luck to all Teams and Drivers :)

Googolplex

January 29, 2012 5:59 AM

To all Crash diehards,

I see Jose has signed out for a while. Jose (despite being a complete Lewis nut) has been a source of great entertainment on this site. He rarely loses his sense of humour, so I will miss his contributions.

Best regards to you Jose. Let that dog run.

Ptolomy - Unregistered

January 29, 2012 6:20 AM

Martin Whitmarsh epitomizes McLaren. Unsportsmanlike, deceptive, and pretentoius. Does anyone remember the things he has said about Sebastian Vettel? He labeled Sebastian the "crash kid" in 2010. But it looks like his protege Lewis Hamilton has truly earned the nickname "Crash Kid" in 2011. Most disgustingly, Whitmarsh let his true colors show when he talked about how he hated to hear Sebastian giving a victory statement on the radio at the end of the races he won. It all fits into the McLaren mold. Its what they do.

Angelina - Unregistered

January 29, 2012 7:38 AM

Jeff86
I think u were disrespectful to Mo.
10/19 fastest laps for RBR n 9/19 for Macca implies the cars were matching in many races.
Horner had said that Vettel Hamilton asteammates won't work.

Ptolomy
Take it easy on Whitmarsh. This year he said i will eat my words. BTW he and Dennis like Vettel & want to sign him with Macca. Even in a interview pre qualifying at Spa with Horner, Whitmarsh said he(Horner) has good drivers. He didn't say its car. Its Vettel. Even on James Allens website after 2011 season, Whitmarsh says he is 2nd(WCC)bcoz of Vettel n says MW too is a good driver.

« 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  »