F1 » Pirelli boss predicts 'astonishingly good races'

Paul Hembery says the 2012 F1 season is set to be a classic

Buzz45 - Unregistered

January 28, 2012 3:39 PM

I Hope he's right because I've decided to go for the Sky package so I won't miss anything. Rather than bemoan the price, I thought about it as approximately the price of a couple of trips to the pub each week. In reality, that's what it costs. I can almost smell that burning rubber in HD already! NO! I don't have any connection with Sky either, I'm getting it through Virgin ( Not Maruusia either:-) ).

Chop Chop - Unregistered

January 28, 2012 6:03 PM

To spice up the action! It looks like comedian who accidentally fell down on stage and pretends to be making joke.
Actual Pirelli tire quality was very poor last year and not as they said spice up the action.
Pirelli rubber marble was all over the track and tire has shorter life span than drivers' expected. With current tire rule, Pirelli needs to make good stable tire.
Last year, some cars did not want to go out at Q3 because they want to save tire for race. I hope all cars will out for Q3 in 2012.

Merlin - Unregistered

January 28, 2012 7:32 PM

@ Chop Chop

What utter nonsense!

If you want to go back to the boring Bridgestone tyres, then maybe you won't mind at all if the race is won after the first pit stop just 15 laps into the race.

BBBBOOOORRRRRIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!

BRAVO PIRELLI for doing something to actually make the racing less predictable. Long may it continue.

Taipan

January 28, 2012 9:59 PM

Well said Merlin. Last year was one of the best years racing since ground effects, and it wasn't down to crappy DRS or pointless KERS it was due to the tyres. Pirelli could easily make a tyre that lasted the whole race and we'd all be bored to tears, but they followed the brief and made the tyres perform to the FiA's wishes and it worked!

mick - Unregistered

January 28, 2012 10:12 PM

Merlin however this is not pure racing. I get really cheesed off when my favourite driver gets held up because of marbles on the off line or gets caught out with tyres that drop off quickly without notice and I feel for the other drivers also.

If you want unpredictability then less aero, bigger tyres, hard compound that does marble and as bernie suggested sprinkle sections of the track with water occasionally would sort out the drivers, give the drivers will low budget cars an opportunity to stand out and provide good racing to boot.

JJ - Unregistered

January 28, 2012 10:40 PM

Pirelli I think did a great job. Drivers had to manage tire life which is what we want to see, driver skill playing more of a role vs. just machine doing all the work.

I would love to have a tire war again. With such a limit on # of tires and testing, why not bring in a 2nd or 3rd tire maker.

Nanbawan - Unregistered

January 29, 2012 3:02 AM

What Pirelli policy has done is actually to emulate a tyre war without the actual performance but with a similar behaviour in tyre wear.

It's a bit artificial but having a soft that is relly faster and more fragile than its harder compound counterpart is part of motorsports.

Anyway, to some extent (yes they had it wrong in some places), I prefer that to the DRS fraud. At least drivers can make a difference, battle and race...

1 2  »