F1 » Brundle: Sky will get the audience – and I'll be better too!

Martin Brundle: I had to force being the lead commentator, whereas I don't have to force being co-comm.

Hairpin

March 01, 2012 2:42 AM

@pop81 and others, talking about the viewing figures.
Do you really think we'll get the true numbers because I don't. If you look up how the stats are collected it's impossible to get proper figures the're just guestimates.
Even if it were possible, Murdock (Sky) would probably 'massage' the figures in his favour.

DreadUK - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 7:57 AM

@Hairpin

I was going to post virtually precisly the same observation as yours.......spot on. Murdoch will never allow the figures to be below what he requires.

As for paying for Sky of any description, you must all be quite mad!

Not only do you have to shell out shed loads to watch 14 hours of boring commentary but you have to suffer the adverts as well. That's like the worst of ITV and the BBC rolled into one times 10!

I'll watch streams, buy a B&Q satellite, anything but I'm not paying Murdoch a penny.

stewart - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 11:17 AM

all to do with money
sky cant wait till it gets all sports so u have to pay thro the nose to see them
if people had the money we could go to see them live ..

Murduck - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 11:36 AM

Can anyone confirm that Sky coverage will not have adverts during the race AFTER the 2012 season? All of their wording stipulates that the races will be advert free for this year only.

Anyway, it's streaming/BBC for me this year, no money to Murdoch from me. And whilst I was a fan of Brundle I'll not particularly miss him...it's the racing I watch.

Sidthekid - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 12:54 PM

I'm gonna buy a B&Q dish and point it towards my neighbours dustbin and bounce the signal off the car and get my missus to stand on the roof in an aluminium catsuit holding a couple of mirrors to deflect the signal between RTL and whatever they watch in Mongolia so I don't have to put up with adverts because I am such a HUUUUUGE fan of F1 that I won't just put my hand in my pocket and shell out for a Sky subscription to watch the sport I profess to love.

Oh yeah and I hate the Murdochs, not sure why but everybody else does. So there!

Sidthekid - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 1:15 PM

Oh and I used to like Brundle but since he got offered more money to work for the hateful Murdochs and decided to accept it, I can't stand him anymore. I mean really, who would do that?

Caroline - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 2:54 PM

@Hairpin

The viewing figures are gathered by a verifiable data system, as used by BARB ... And even if it was off, it would be off by the same % for Sky as the BBC.

The current margin for error is 2%
So on a BBC figure of 4.5 million, it could be plus or minus 90,000, or on Sky's 'predicted'(by Sky) 1.34 million it would be 26,800.

Alex Robinson - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 3:57 PM

RBS analysts consider this entire debacle a very good move for Sky. Given the track record of the analysts at the Royal Bank of Scotland, that means BSkyB should be bankrupt by the end of the year...

Seriously though...as the RBS analysts report details, the good news for sky is it attracts a different type of viewership to football. Or to put it another way, people that watch motorsport, tend not to like football. Which means that Sky are relying on new subscribers to provide the viewing numbers...One thing they will not have done is signed up 1 million new people for F1 in the off season.

What I will say, is I'm in a position to upgrade to Sky HD, (I don't pay the bulk of the bill) but I won't, and you know what..watching the BBC's trail for F1 2012, and the other tidbits, they keep putting out are impressing me. Maybe a broom is what was needed here. Gary Andersons technical knowledge during the post McLaren unveiling..was, well breathtaking...far above what Lumsden Bumhat could

Alex Robinson - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 3:58 PM

(continued) Lumsden Bumhat could come up with..who's general rhetoric was "well i'm down here in the -team name- garage, and it seems theres a -name part on fire in front of you- issue, back to you Martin"

He also knows a damn sight more than Brundle as well!

Lets just see how the next two seasons go...I get the feeling they'll start to scale back if this season bombs..

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  »