F1 » Brundle: Sky will get the audience – and I'll be better too!

Martin Brundle: I had to force being the lead commentator, whereas I don't have to force being co-comm.

Hairpin

March 01, 2012 6:53 PM

@ Caroline - being as you know where the information comes from you should also know that the phrase guestimate is also correct - "Viewing estimates are obtained from a panel of television owning households representing the viewing behaviour of the 26+ million households within the UK. The reporting panel of 5,100 homes is selected to be representative of each ITV and BBC region. The service covers viewing within private households only".
I stand by the rest of my post re Murdock(sky)if the police and government officials can be bribed then I think an independent can also.
I can find no evidence to support your 2% error claim either.

Caroline - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 7:54 PM

@Hairpin

I agree Sky will try and spin the figures to their best advantage, especially as with so many repeats and with such a small audience many repeated shows will 'Make no impact' or have a 'zero' rating.

2% is what it used to be, I've just been told it's now 1.4% ... But I've e-mailed them for an update :)

mrfill

March 01, 2012 8:31 PM

@ Alex Robinson

The average take per customer with Sky is #535
( www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/19/sky-growth-results ). 100k new subs brings in #53.5m pa - and thats quite enough to cover Bernie (#7.5m), Martin (#1.3m) and all the others and still leave a considerable amount to trouser even ignoring any advert revenue.

That's with only 100k newbies - a tad over 2% of the BBCs audience.

Even if only 1 in 20 BBC F1 viewers (225k) takes sky, that represents over #120m a year to Sky. They dont need anything like a million new subs. They dont even need to have adverts.

So long as they can maintain (or increase) the overall viewers, the team sponsors will be happy. The BBC coverage is vital to this.
Everybody wins - Bernie, the teams, Sky, BBC - well everybody except the new sky suckers err.... subscribers

#= pound sign

PeteUplink - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 11:35 PM

So Sky are going to get the viewers are they? Let see... They're looking at a million viewers at the most (and that's me being generous). It's hardly the 4 - 6 million people that used to tune into BBC coverage. I believe the 2009 Brazilian GP got something like 8m viewers. Sky can never match that.

I'm actually more interested in the BTCC and MotoGP this year. F1 has lost it's shine somewhat...

Bert Shoe - Unregistered

March 01, 2012 11:44 PM

i dont think they really care about the viewing figures.Its depriving the free to air public of another sport that matters to them. Eventually people will sign up cos there is nothing left on FTA.
The monopoly commision should look at all the stuff being controlled by one leather faced old git.

mrfill

March 02, 2012 12:07 AM

Why do Sky *need* 1m viewers? Answer: They dont. Prem League football is now watched by far fewer people than when it was on FTA. Same for cricket, same for boxing. And yet all those sports are now rolling in loads of money (as is Sky) as a result. So long as there are enough dimwits who believe that paying 535 a year to Sky for TV is better than paying 150 for the BBC, the plan works. And it *is* working.

However, unlike the above, F1 is still on FTA (50% live too) so no-one is being 'deprived of another sport'. Its still going to be there on BBC, some of it a bit delayed.

And it was a certain female prime minister who changed the rules to allow LF old git such a lot of 'stuff'.

I'll be watching on BBC or by a stream btw as I avoid any Murdoch product (dont want to sup with the devil) but if ITV4 or the bikes are on, they'll probably get priority.

magicmingus - Unregistered

March 07, 2012 7:26 AM

If I'm honest I was very anti the move to sky and really hate the fact that the BBC sold the rights to SKY. However after looking at the races the BBC are covering or lack of I decided to take the plunge and go for sky. I have always liked Croft and thought that the dream team would be Croft and Brundle together, which sky gives me.
I cannot bring myself to listen to James Allen on the radio, he was an idiot when he last did the commentary and on the radio he simply won't shut up.
The BBC line up is interesting but they have rubbish coverage, and seriously why do they need to send a full production and presentation team to every race if they are not covering it live and only showing highlights.

Maroc - Unregistered

March 10, 2012 5:21 PM

Nothing against Brundle and the team but the thought of giving that Scum Murdoch 1p of my money would make me puick, therefore No Sky in my home and I have yet to meet a single person that is buying it, I would rather learn German and watch it on RTL

« 2 3 4 5 6 7  »