F1 » Scheckter: Alonso a 'steady performer', not 'best of the bunch'

Fernando Alonso is not the best driver on the grid, says 1979 F1 world champion, Jody Scheckter.

Taipan

April 01, 2012 1:28 PM

Strange call from Scheckter, if he doesn't think Alonso is the best you'd think he would be good enough to tell us who he thinks IS the best.

Sounds as though he's pissed off with his old mates at Ferrari, they probably forgot to send him his complimentary tickets this year.

Googolplex

April 01, 2012 1:29 PM

I remember Scheckter well, having been a keen Alan Jones fan in the late 70's early 80's. I didn't think he was anything special then albeit he was a good driver.

Today I am a Webber fan, and I can say confidently that Alonso is a lot more special in terms of the impression he has had on me than Scheckter ever did.

HartleyF1 - Unregistered

April 01, 2012 1:30 PM

Never meant to go on about Button richard but as scheckter said alonso was not the best of the bunch i felt it only fair to leave my opinion.

Ps one of the posts asked who was the best so i thought it only right to post my comment with my reasons for my own choice.
Feel free to place your own comment with your own opinion of the best driver with valid reason Dear sir.

Cabronitos - Unregistered

April 01, 2012 1:38 PM

Alonso got beaten by a rookie, cheats, lies and is clearly a very vain inadequate little man.

These days he is not even in the top 5, 3rd world "pay drivers" are better than him.

Taipan

April 01, 2012 1:52 PM

Agree with you there Googs.
Jones was also one of the first drivers that I followed, I never went down the road of following British drivers just because I'm British, I call it the Nigel Mansell effect! lol

107SS2009

April 01, 2012 1:56 PM

For anybody like me that has been following F1 and anything to do with it including writings in the media from very much well before Jody Scheckter was first seen in F1 will read this (his) “gross hate for anything that happen to involve FERRARI” with no surprise at all, for some reason or another this south African jaw who became famous for causing one of the biggest accidents in FI history (eight cars totally destroyed) and was demanded that he should be banned from the sports, started spitting total hate against first MS and then against FERRARI in his writings in the British media a long time ago, it was thanks to the FERRARI team that ordered Gilles Villeneuve to follow in his tracks so that he be able to win his only championship.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  »