F1 » Protest death casts new cloud over Bahrain

Increased reporting of the situation in Bahrain shows that last week's positive vibe about the country's grand prix could yet be misplaced.

Googolplex

April 03, 2012 2:55 PM

mrfill,

Yes, I understand that there will also be a big ICBM ****nal display down the main straight before the race with alot of goose stepping family fun. According to Bernie, who has taken an assignment of the country's food aid as payment, he feels politically he is doing the right thing because it will at last reunite North and South Korea.

Mark _

April 03, 2012 3:04 PM

One gets the impression fron Richard's posts that as long as the race is "safe" for the F1 community it does not matter what is happening outside the track. If that is not what was meant then it was not clear. Richard generally seems like a caring person but his position on this race seems a bit callous.

Everyone should read Mike Lawrence's articles on Pit Pass on this subject as he does a great job of explaining who is behind this race and how it is not possible to seperste it from politics.

Mark _

April 03, 2012 3:11 PM

Taipan - if the race in Austin was being put on by George Bush I would expect much protest. Especially if he was still in office. That is the situation in Bahrain. This race never should have been given to the monarchy.

Chris - Unregistered

April 03, 2012 3:45 PM

If safety for the drivers and teams is also a factor then I think they should review Sao Paulo too.I recall Jenson managed to escape an armed attack and Sauber mechanics being held up too.

Texas Roadhouse

April 03, 2012 3:46 PM

Dear me! a lot of toys being thrown out of prams here! Mark, above maybe expresses better than I. And certainly, the articles by Mike Lawrence on this topic are excellent and should be a "must read" to get a true picture. As I've said, I have lived in both countries (SA and Bahrain), so feel able to comment based on personal experience. Naive, I am not, though. And stating facts is hardly a rant. Just a different viewpoint. As everyone is entitled to. Oh, by the way, Richard, I hit "agree" on several of your other posts - so hope we're still friends!!!

richard

April 03, 2012 3:58 PM

mark. note that i did not say "safe on track". i said, or intended to say, safe in bahrain. and by the way,your present incumbent is just as bad!
texas. i have only passed through bahrain twice, so i wouldnt judge the country on what i read. by the way, that pitpass reporter is not the most reliable of people to listen to. he proclaims that bernie is as pure as the snow!
i have a friend (engineer who has worked in libya (during uprising), kuwait (and was one of saddams human shields) and saudi and bahrain. he is totally happy there and confirms that generally all is peaceful.
i dont hold grudges, as life is too short for that sort of thing, but i think you went over the top in your rant/attack on me. you made it personal, and i am entitled to an opinion and to express same.
but my questions on china and india still stand. these have worse violations. so do you support these races?

Taipan

April 03, 2012 3:59 PM

Mark, If your main point of contention is that it's the ruling political party that is hosting the race then should China host a race since their race is staged by a government who's human rights bill is somewhat iffy?

My point is simple, if F1 chooses not to go to Bahrain because it disagrees with that nations politics then it has an obligation to pass judgment on every other host nations politics, it's called equality.

If F1 chooses not to go to Bahrain because it's a crap track, generally a crap race, and usually the sum total of spectators is 2 crap camels then I'd be delighted to see it scrapped, but dropping it because of political beliefs is opening a can of worms.

Texas Roadhouse

April 03, 2012 5:33 PM

Richard - Personally - as regards China and India? No, I don't think there should have been a GP there - for all sorts of reasons other than human rights issues. I feel that a country should be "awarded" a GP if the motorsport culture in that country is deep and long-standing - as was with the "traditional" venues. Money has, of course changed that for ever.

As for being "personal" - well, in as far as I was disagreeing with you, then yes - but with ONLY your views. "Whilst I might disagree with your views, I would defend to the utmost, your right to express them" (to paraphrase a quote mis-attributed to Voltaire). I suppose the nearest I can get to describing this is that I would do my level best to annihilate you on the rugby pitch, but would enjoy a pint or three in the bar afterwards with no malice whatsoever.

Mark _

April 03, 2012 5:50 PM

richard - no offense was meant. I thought that I did a good job of giving you the benefit of doubt. Clearly what we write can be interpretted differently than how we intended it to.

Taipan - if the Bahrain saga has taught us anything it is that there should be a clear seperation between the host countries government and the race promoter. Hopefully the FIA has learned from the politicalization of this event that it is wrong to award races to those who hold office. So yes the Chinese government should not get this privilege either. I am not sure who organizes the Indian race so I cannot comment on it.

pcxmac - Unregistered

April 03, 2012 6:37 PM

Juss Events really are not affiliated with the central party as they are more an extension of Shanghai. Which Ironically has been a bastion for British interests in the region for a very very long time, since at least the opium war :)

« 4 5 6 7 8 9  »