F1 » FIA backs Bahrain to stage GP

Motorsport's governing body has said that the Bahrain Grand Prix should go ahead, despite calls for the event to be cancelled for a second straight season.

Mark _

April 13, 2012 10:23 PM

Angelina - It is not an attack. I am just curious if there is a limit for richard. Surely he must draw a line in the sand somewhere? From his posts I do not get the impression that he would be against races in Syria or Zimbabwe or any other country (as long as it is safe). Hopefully I am wrong. Richard is a good guy and I typically agree with his posts. I guess that is why it is so shocking that he sees no problem in holding this race.

Chuck - Unregistered

April 14, 2012 12:51 AM

As an occasional commenter here, and considering the debate in progress on this topic... I am inclined to re-post a comment I made elsewhere on the net, about the same subject, where Mark Webber was making some very carefully worded comments.

"I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mark... I too have tried my best to look at the issues in Bahrain. I have come to the conclusion that the regime in Bahrain has in fact brutalized it's own people, as well as invited other tyrants in the area to do the same to it's own people, and now that they have collectively beaten down the civilian descent, the Bahrain regime would like F1 to act as a "unifying force" playing into it's hands. The regime is politicizing the event by taking this position... and the rest of the world is expected to condemn any opposition... how stupid do they think we all are? That goes for Bernie too... I have come to a personal decision that I will not watch the race itself, but I will be watching the news...."

fastlane66 - Unregistered

April 14, 2012 2:25 AM

Good, F1 race under curfew will be recorded in history.
I'm sure Bahrain opposition will take advantage on F1 event and go out to the street.
Reporters can be reporting to the world what actually happening inside Bahrain. However, reporters and visitors need very careful about detaining by Bahrain secret police.
I don't need to talk about moneyman Bernie. This man is sickiest (sicket) person on the planet.

kiwibob

April 14, 2012 2:36 AM

Im just wondering what race does not have govt input as i can,t think of one where the govt don,t front something, Secondly if you are watching the chinese race then why are you not watching the bahrain one as i can remember the chinese shooting people who were protesting in a square several years ago . ANYWAY i will be watching both so everyone has there own choice in a free country

John B - Unregistered

April 14, 2012 11:27 AM

South Africa: 1970's and 1980's. Sports and entertainment boycotts worked. the higer profile the event, the better. Helped bring people, on all sides of the political spectrum, to realise that the world did not agree with the regime.

Who runs an event is splitting hairs and of little consequece.

mrfill

April 14, 2012 6:39 PM

Bernie really should sort out a GP for Syria. He could go there and see the inside of some nice hotels and meet some terribly polite chaps and then tell the world that all is fine and that the media are scaremongering. It worked for Bahrain and it would save all this United Nations fuss. In fact Bernie should be the next General Secretary. The worlds problems would all disappear quicker than you can say "where's my money".

Caroline - Unregistered

April 16, 2012 10:11 AM

Nice picture in the press this weekend showing Tim Henman, Colin Montgomerie, Ruud Guilit and Gianluca Vialli with various bigwigs of Bahrain for a sporting tournament in Bahrain ... I wonder why the protesters weren't protesting that.

Maybe it's that football, tennis and golf combined are far less important than F1, or maybe the protesters are just discriminating against F1, either way it shows them in a more truthful light, as well as much of the F1 hating media.

« 1 2 3 4 5