F1 » Liuzzi: Pirelli needs praise for tyres

Pirelli should be thanked for adding spice to the 2012 F1 campaign, according to Vitantonio Liuzzi.

chris - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 9:31 AM

Don't quite think we can conclude at this stage that Schumacher is in the minority with his thoughts on the tyres.
Rosberg himself might not fair too well if the racing was more aggressive. He is clearly brilliant at producing quick one off laps, but he can be a bit of a push over when being passed( Bahrain excepted of course where a penalty should have been given ).
He never criticizes Schumi directly, but these comments are an obvious dig.

tman - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 11:51 AM

Liuzzi is right, Pirelli were asked to do a job to make the tyres tricky to handle after a certain number of laps, and they did it. The racing has become more exciting.
Tyre management has always been part of racing, but now its never been so crucial.

Josh - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 12:28 PM

During the off-season I rewatched Canada 2010 to relieve my F1 cravings. I had fond memories of it being one of the most intense and thrilling races of recent history, thanks to the high degradation due to the track surface. As I viewed it again expecting to be thoroughly entertained, I found myself growing bored. It was nothing compared to the stunning strategy battles that played out in the 2011 season with the Pirelli rubber.

I think what Pirelli have done for the sport is fantastic. The drivers may complain because they want to drive 100% for the entire race, but what they forget is that F1 is not only their day job - but our entertainment as well. The Bridgestone races were a bore, Canada 2010 was one of the few races where clever strategy was a serious necessity for the race victory. And in retrospect, even that race is boring compared to the action Pirelli provides in each GP.

I'm glad Liuzzi can understand this. Quite frankly I'm sick of a lot of drivers moaning about their d

jose - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 2:46 PM

Pit stops, tire management and Lady Luck will decide
the WDC this season. Driver's skill, maybe so, maybe not!
What a revolting development this is..

Jose

ghog

April 30, 2012 2:55 PM

Absolutley agree with Josh's comments.

The current tyres really keep the Drivers/teams on their toes.

Everyone wanted more overtaking, closer racing, less processional races.

Now we almost have it - and there's a whole lot of moaning going on!

IF lesser drivers/teams were tending to inherit wins/high places because of the degrading tyres I would agree with the negative posting's.

They are not - I don't!

Droog - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 3:07 PM

Count me in on Josh and ghog's take on the tires.
As a rule Bahrain sucked as a race in past years. Right up there with Barcelona and Abu Dhabi in my books. Tires have changed all that.
I couldn't imagine Bahrain 2012 being any more exciting, because of the tech regs in place and the tire strategy imposed on the teams.
I say keep it up, this season is looking to be one of the great ones if F1 can consistently transform all the Tilke Bore-o-dromes into decent races.

richard

April 30, 2012 4:01 PM

jose, i agree with you totally. yes there is more of a spectacle these days thanks to drs,limited engines, degrading tyres etc, but what has that to do with RACING? in the good old days,60-80s, we saw some of the best races ever, and there were NO artificial aids to satisfy the tv audiences.

Droog - Unregistered

April 30, 2012 4:25 PM

@richard, point taken, but the sanitizing effort for all F1 tracks has really removed much of the thrill from that period. How many tracks that were raced on then would still qualify for a FIA sanctioned race today?
Even Monaco only gets special dispensation from the governing body due to it's historical nature.
As I mentioned, it's the Tilke tracks that are the issue. Although the other side of that coin is how much risk would the Drivers be willing to face for the entertainment of the Fans?

1 2 3 4  »