F1 » Ferrari honours Villeneuve on 30th anniversary

Jacques Villeneuve drives a car raced by his father on the 30th anniversary of his death at Zolder

Taipan

May 08, 2012 4:35 PM

For any who are too young to remember Gilles give yourself a treat and have a look on youtube at some of his races, he was a huge talent. Enzo Ferrari once said that Gilles was the only driver he could compare to Tazio Nuvolari, says it all really.

Gone but never forgotten.

Droog - Unregistered

May 08, 2012 6:50 PM

RIP Gilles, massive talent, lost too soon.
I would have given anything to see him up against Senna, they both had that special touch.
Tears of Grief today, here in the Great White North.

FJMurray - Unregistered

May 08, 2012 7:21 PM

sure, there might be a measure of bias on my end because I'm French-Canadian... but he was the best. Not titles "best" like Schumi. Not Senna "best". Just, the best. :) The ultimate "win-at-all-costs" sportsman, Gilles Villeneuve was not only one of the greatest natural talents in the history of motorsport, he is without a doubt the hungriest driver ever to set foot to the throttle of a Formula One car. He is sorely missed! SALUT GILLES

Dangerous Dave - Unregistered

May 08, 2012 8:50 PM

Gilles never understood the concept of giving anything less than 110% whatever he drove. He was a racing driver in the purest sense of the word! He loved what he did and regardless of how competitive the car was he would always give it the maximum. - I have heard a lot of comments from other drivers of his era both good and bad but they could never understand his pure passion, and commitment in an F1 car. We badly need another driver of his ilk, but sadly it would never happen in this day and age! Brilliant, Honest, and Totally committed, I regard him as one of the best ever!!

107SS2009

May 08, 2012 9:52 PM

Gilles was one of a kind the likes of which we will never see again.
Qualifying in the rain at the 1979 US GP at Watkins Glen, the track was flooded and only eight drivers ventured out, one of those was Scheckter who was fastest behind team mate Gilles, eleven seconds behind, in the pits all the drivers were aghast at Gilles DRIVING THE FLAT 12 at over 160 mph, why do we bother? He is different from the rest of us (Jacques Laffite said), I really scarred myself, I thought I was the fastest until I looked at the timing boards and couldn't believe my eyes (Scheckter).

herowassenna - Unregistered

May 08, 2012 10:28 PM

I was 13 when he died. I had watched races in Italy with the family during summer holidays and on TV in the UK.
My mum and dad arranged for an early birthday present for me to go to the British Gp that year. July 11th IIRC.
I missed seeing him by 2 months... somehow video doesn't seem the same.

Brian - Unregistered

May 08, 2012 11:17 PM

I too had the pleasure of watching Jacques at Long Beach especially the year he won. What an amazing driver, more than maximum effort everytime. The best I ever saw in a race car as I saw him race Can Am as well.
I have two photos of Jacques at Long Beach taken by Bob Tronolone. One is of him sitting on a toolbox in the pits on Ocean ave and the other an overhead shot going up Pine street. I will never part with them.

Only good memories of Jacques.

1 2  »