F1 » Cracking the barcode with Pirelli

In the first of a series of features, Pirelli looks at how tyres are made and distributed to the F1 teams...

kooper - Unregistered

May 16, 2012 10:31 AM

Very interesting article. I have nothing of value to add, but I'm going to do what I usually don't:

I'm sorry for doing this, but it's been a busy day for me so far and I just need something to distract myself with for a couple of seconds. Chances are I might be completely incorrect about this in any event.

Grand Prix means "Big Prize"? So "grand's prix" translates to "Big's Prize"? So the Prize belongs to some bloke called Big. Should it be "grands prix" rather?

Again, I'm just being anal for the sake of some brief distraction. If I'm way off the mark, please just ignore I said anything.

thescarab - Unregistered

May 16, 2012 11:36 AM

I do think that inspite of the great work and effort put in by Pirelli, a second tyre supplier is the way forward to add the extra spice to the mix. Michael Schumacher has a point regarding the present tyre management that has to be adopted to preserve the wear and useage. You only need to look now at what happens in Q3 ! Its becoming farcical as teams opt not to put in a timed run just to preserve tyres. Is this really racing as it should be .......

Josh - Unregistered

May 16, 2012 11:55 AM

It's good to know that the tyres are recycled after the race. I've always wondered what happens with the marbles though. Wouldn't it suck being the bloke who has to go and clean up the track after the F1 circus has gone home!

thescarab- "Is this really racing as it should be"

I think the racing is fantastic. To solve the Q3 issues it'd be nice to see a return of the qualifying tyre, or for the FIA to impose a rule saying all Q3 participants must set a timed lap. Hell, they make rules for everything else, I don't see why they can't fix up Q3.

Calvin _

May 16, 2012 12:01 PM

Josh,

There's probably a truck with a thing on the back to sweep the track. I do wish they'd do something about the amount of marbles though. It creates one racing line which makes overtaking even harder.

wonderWhy - Unregistered

May 16, 2012 1:06 PM

Great write-up!

cant imagine why tire compounds cannot be chosed by teams. How about - 'Hey, here's the prime tire for the coming race, do the teams want us to put in a medium compound or much harder one?'.

After all, it's the teams that own the tires, so why not the compound?

WonderWhy - Unregistered

May 16, 2012 1:11 PM

@thescarab - "....Its becoming farcical"

I can understand ur point, but the truth is racing became a farce when all those electronics were fitted into the cars. today, drivers actually multi-manage cars more than they actually drive it. so, while we are at it, why not remove the unnecessary baggage in KERS, Computer-aided Start/Launch, OTA Differential tuning, etc etc etc. How 'bout some pure racing 50's style? :-)

Taipan

May 16, 2012 1:34 PM

Josh, There's an interview with one of the Pirelli bosses on Yalla today, he says they can start making qualifying tyres tomorrow all they need is to be given the green light by the FiA.
It would be a simple solution to the qualifying situation, I hope they do it soon rather than wait 'till next season.

1 2 3 4 5  »