F1 » POLL: Is Mark Webber right?

Mark Webber reckons F1 is in danger of having too many winners in a single season - but do you agree?

5-7 is a good mix - Unregistered

May 17, 2012 2:12 PM

I think we're already in the area for what a good season should be. Formula 1 is about the best cars, best teams, best engines competing for marketing and bragging rights, each trying to manage its own destiny. Right now though exciting for some it is turning out to be a game of chance. Really who has the best car in F1? Who has the best engine? The best package?

In the end this was the downfall of other racing series in the past. After a while fans get bored because racing was never all about having multiple winners it was proving who was the best.

Personally I'd like to see Vettle, Alonso, Schumacher, Hamilton and Button going for it. But in a good F1 season you can get 5-7 winners covering 4-5 or so teams. Think ferrari, mclaren, Red Bull, Lotus and Mercedes. Now that would make a great season.

Hopefully they are no more new winners but then again that would leave out Hamilton who has driven his heart out so far this year, Kimi and Schumi who has had some bad luck when he could h

cnar77 - Unregistered

May 17, 2012 2:15 PM

had some bad luck when he could have had some great results.

What we need is consistency. Tyres need to be fast and consistent at speed for at least 15 laps. Does anyone remember some of the best seasons in the recent past? 2008, 2007, 2006. Even a team being dominant has created some great seasons. 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001.

Just me 2 cents.

bottna - Unregistered

May 17, 2012 2:25 PM

Pretty clear what Crash.net thinks of Webber's comments, no bias there at all....

Both options listed are good for viewers, 2 or 3 close rivals and a championship with multiple winners. 1 guy winning all the time isn't with 2 races worth of points in front is rubbish.

Bzzzzt - Unregistered

May 17, 2012 4:11 PM

Compared to the past several years, this season is a breath of fresh air. Previously, RB's crushing aero dominance often made F1 into a boring parade. By this time last season I'd given up watching quali and only lasted a few races more before I stopped watching entirely. Multiple winners has been a little bit shocking to say the least. I can't wait to see what happens in the next race!

I'm not really arguing for or against the methods used to shake up the sport, but getting a single team off the top step for race after race was an excellent result.

Mr.Snake - Unregistered

May 17, 2012 4:23 PM

i dont like the tyres this yearbut they need it like that cuz there is no refuelling which i personaly like
but F1 will not get borring now as they will roroate rules around like refueling and tyres and god knows what else they will bring for the 2013 turbo?
ON WEBBER HE LIKED GETTING DOMINATED BY HIS TEAM MATE LAST SEASON IN A ULTRA FAST CAR, AND WHERE DID WEBBER FINISH 2011 CHAMPIONSHIP? AND HE WANTS LESS DIFF PEPS WINING LOL gg WEBBER, I STILL FEEL FOR U THO the most unlicky guy in f1 before 2009

Elvis Cole - Unregistered

May 17, 2012 4:46 PM

This year has been the most interesting to me in a long time. Last year was totally boring with Vettel starting from pole and racing off into the distance. I've never liked it when one team makes a technological breakthrough that leaves everyone else a second or two off the pace but I understand that the money and prestige of F1 brings the brightest minds and that translates into advancements that often give a team a big advantage for a while. I hate it when it lasts all season like last year. I cast my vote for more drivers having a chance to win. The more the merrier!

Longtimefan - Unregistered

May 17, 2012 6:16 PM

Nobody wants a repeat of the Schumacher reign nor and the Vettel/Red Bull dominance over the last two years has been a turn off. But the number of winners is not the real issue. While we do not want predictable races I know from the comments on many other fora that many dedicated fans want to understand the factors involved and. most portantly, want to feel that the win came from the excellence of a car/driver combination dealing with these commonly understood factors. The current tyre construction produces an apparently capricious element of chance. Its narrow window of operation varies wildly from track to track and this being the case, the only time the teams will will have the data to deal with it will be when the season is over!

But arguably the greatest downside of the tyre issue is that preserving them has become the main decider of success. Is that what F1 is about, cautious driving?

Ben1

May 17, 2012 7:14 PM

Ironical article, altough it's short I liked it very much. Webber's real problem may not be the five different winners, but that there are five winners and he's not one of them.

Breezy - Unregistered

May 17, 2012 7:57 PM

I think what Webber might be referring to is more the "crap shot" nature of what we have going on now. Winners? Yes, I would like a lot of them. However, the mystifying change of pace between one week to the next sort of makes me throw up my hands like "it's all a crapshot, why waste my time on it?" feeling.

That said, I have the highest respect for the winning drives this year .. Maldonado's was worth watching for sure. It's more like Button off the pace of Hamilton, and Rosberg winning and then falling out of the top ten not long after, etc.

I think some of the team members feel that way too. Like it's just one big crapshoot .. not who wins but rather what's the car going to be like today?

1 2 3  »