F1 » Kubica has elbow surgery

F1 winner Robert Kubica said to be doing well after latest operation

Filter Comments: All | Registered

50 Cent - Unregistered

June 06, 2012 4:36 PM

Mark - if he were Lewis Hamilton I suppose you could be right. Robert is extremly shy and incredibly private, in an essence he is more like Kimi. He does it his own way.

Zz - Unregistered

June 06, 2012 5:13 PM

Without knowing precise details of injuries it's all just speculation - even with full medical reports it's often not possible to make accurate predictions about the extent of recovery and after effects. There's a lot more to life than F1, even for someone who has been a top professional driver and whatever happens from here on, he's lucky just to be alive and not confined to wheelchair. I think it will be very difficult to regain the fitness and stamina levels required to make a competitive return to F1 racing but I'm sure he'll have the necessary drive to push to his physical limits, so it will be down to those limitations alone as to whether he can make a successful return.

Zz - Unregistered

June 06, 2012 5:35 PM

To be fair, if people thought Kubica visited this site and bothered to look at the comments, (or even just his relatives and friends), they'd all simply wish him well and say they hoped for a full and speedy recovery. Given the context of the article, I don't think that discussing whether someone who has suffered such severe injuries is likely to be able to return to the level of fitness required to drive a F1 car competitively over race distance is in any sense disrespectful.

Maxx - Unregistered

June 06, 2012 6:12 PM

Even if he gets well enough to return, I don't see a top team signing him unless there reserve driver is good enough to take over and score enough points for them. Maybe a third tier team (Toro Rosso, Force India, Caterham).

JOHN - Unregistered

June 06, 2012 7:07 PM

There is a saying, 'never say never'. However much as I would love to see him back in F1 as he was one of the world's few drivers who could get something out of a F1 car- the odds seem to be staked against him, this I say with the greatest of respect. We shall have to wait and see but the time is going by fast and it takes a very fit man to drive a F1 car.

richard

June 06, 2012 7:14 PM

nifty. what on earth has my wife got to do with it? apart from maybe saying that i was married, i have NEVER mentioned my wife on this forum.
and he broke a lap record in a kart? it was in indoor play track of electric karts. pictures of him have been on many many sites, and he has never been shown with his right hand in view. he carefully always hid it. it doesnt worry me if you cannot find these photos, but believe me, they were there and also discussed at length on this site!

cobalt. i dont know if you are being cynical or what, but look at my first post, i wished him well, as i would wish anybody who was ill or hospitalised, well.

and as for the comment that we should not be discussing him, this thread is about robert, and he is a public figure.

i, like many others feel that he will not be back in f1 and i see nothing wrong in having an opinion.

Zz - Unregistered

June 06, 2012 7:37 PM

I suffered severe bone and neurological damage in a crash and have very little strength, movement or feeling in my right foot. I am fine on the road using my heel on the brake, but racing karts I no longer have enough throttle sensitivity and kept spinning up (or out) without a hand actuated throttle. I read they are illegal in F1. Although it may not be relevant in Kubica's case, I wonder whether the FIA could/would make an exception for disabled F1 drivers, especially if they used a hand throttle, (or any other banned driver aids), on the road. Could a disabled racer successfully argue the rule was discriminatory? I imagine there'd be a controversy like the Oscar Pistorius case in athletics.

« 1 2 3 4  »