F1 » Ecclestone warns free-to-air F1 could end

Bernie Ecclestone warns free-to-air F1 coverage wouldn't be missed in the UK

PaulW - Unregistered

June 08, 2012 1:30 PM

Boxing used to be televised for free in North America. Back in the 1970s i can remember watching heavyweight title fights prime time on US network tv. Ali-Young, Ali-Shavers, Ali-Spinks. next came pay per view. Thirty years later few sports fans could even care about boxing.

Is the Don King of auto racing about to send F1 into oblivion?

sas - Unregistered

June 08, 2012 1:33 PM

I saw the game preview from Codemasters about F2012 in Austin and, by the first impressions, the track is great. The tracks are great now, much better than in the 90's. In other hand, the championship is a bullshit, with great drivers but a bullshit. I like more to see the practice sessions (only to watch how they make the turns) than the real ones and the races. What motorsports fans have done to deserve this?

mrfill

June 08, 2012 1:42 PM

Sky reaches over 10m but he fails to mention that BBC1 reaches over 50m. The BBC dont get 10m viewers for F1 (although they have reached 7m+) but then nor do Sky. In fact, they struggle to get one tenth of that.

The Sky race commentary and grid walk do surpass the BBC but their preamble and post race stuff are dire. They seem to believe that dragging up past names and plonking them in front of a camera is exciting. It's not. Herbert and Hill are even worse than Coulthard and Jordan and the (w)anchor man on Sky is no match for Jake Humpreys.
They have more money though, so it is inevitable that F1 will end up on a pay channel, alienating many fans. But who cares about fans? Bernie certainly doesn't.

izybluffen

June 08, 2012 1:56 PM

@ Commo - That's mainly the eastern states. In Perth and Adelaide we get H.D quali and H.D race both live.
People in Adelaide kicked up a big stink and Mark Webber said a few words to channel 10 which made them change their tune pretty quick, at least for us.

But I reckon I mentioned this to you before.

Terry - Unregistered

June 08, 2012 1:59 PM

Where I live satelite dishes are a no no, so that's me stuffed. Oh well gives me more time to go out and enjoy myself on my motorbike. Hope it doesn't happen to motoGP. I seem to remember the cockeyed little twit tried to get his hands on it once, hence the hike in spectator entrance fees to keep what he thought was the greasy imaged people away.

Droog - Unregistered

June 08, 2012 2:34 PM

four words.
pirate bay and patience
has worked for me for years.
Fork out for a seed box, and drop your satellite. Everything you want to watch is available out in the cloud.

Dr Thompson - Unregistered

June 08, 2012 2:49 PM

10 million people may subscribe to Sky, 10 million people do not watch F1 on Sky. This short term monetary gain will destroy the sport as someone above suggested pay-per-view has done boxing.

You can try & spin it any way you want, compere misleading sets of figures any way you want. However the fact remains that all they have achieved is to reduce the audience.

I ain't getting Sky, if that means being abondoned by a sport I have followed my whole life, so be it. Bernie has spoken, & Bernie will only go the way that guarantees him the monetary gain. Goodbye F1.

MartinJSUK

June 08, 2012 3:42 PM

Some people don't like Murdoch's politics and behaviour, so they don't buy Sky. This means they miss some great TV (and some awful TV, of course).

Some people don't like the BBC's clear political bias and narrow obsessions on several issues. If they don't want to pay for it, they either miss all TV, or go to jail.

I thought Britain was a democracy.

Ronald - Unregistered

June 08, 2012 3:57 PM

Jeez... Just when I'm coming back to F1 because it's no longer about overtaking-free races and handing a trophy to Ferrari and now Bernie wants to spoil it all again...

Thing is, they've tried a lot over the years to piss off fans but it hasn't worked. People keep coming back for more. And yes, like most other televised sports F1 is all about the money. So is football/soccer and that still gets silly viewing figures.
I don't pay for any Sky Premium $$ channels and taking F1 away from the Beeb won't change that. Guess I'm gonna have a lot more time in my weekends in future...

Liam48 - Unregistered

June 08, 2012 4:59 PM

What I love about the BBC coverage is the team of presenters Jake, DC & and Eddie! The coverage doesn't seem forced, you can tell Jake Humphrey is passionate about the sport you get a vibe from him he loves every moment presenting the show unlike Simon at Sky!They get in past champions and past drivers to try and match BBC but they can't get close! You get te feeling that Jake, DC & Eddie are all mates chatting about the race over a couple if pints and it's fun to watch!

It wouldn't surprise me if Sky didn't get half the viewers the BBC do!

« 1 2 3 4 5  »