F1 » CotA will provide 'great show' claims V8 ace

V8 Supercars frontrunner Mark Winterbottom has gone where F1 is yet to tread, but came away impressed by the Circuit of the Americas.

CommodoreS

June 27, 2012 1:15 PM

The Aussie V8 Supercar fraternity are keen
to visit Austin and have Mexico also in their sights together with F1.

I hope to see Ed their wherever he is with his foam finger and polished boots

Nanbawan - Unregistered

June 27, 2012 2:19 PM

I must say that some years ago if someone told that there would be a brand new track built on purpose for F1 in the US I wouldn't have believed him and called a psychiatrist...

Fortunately, the logics of regional promotion to the global scale are the same in the US as in the rest of the world.

CommodoreS

June 27, 2012 3:10 PM

@Nanbayen

The amount of attention and promotion V8 Supercars
are giving in Australia is daunting towards Austin and the U.S as a whole.

Mark Winterbottom is our salesman who is in the U.S primarily on a Disney promotion.

Mark is also a high profile driver within the series for Ford and Prodrive.

UncleSam

June 27, 2012 5:29 PM

@CommodoreS

I am glad to see that you are enthusiastically behind this race, I wasn't so sure about you a few months back. Also remember that the V8's have one of their best spokespersons already in the states full time in the form of Marcos Ambrose. I can't say I know of anyone who thinks poorly of him as a driver or person, a true professional in every regard. Hopefully the schedule will allow Marcos to compete as well.

CommodoreS

June 27, 2012 6:03 PM

@UncleSam.

Mark visited Marcos at the past event.

We are deadset keen to visit the U.S. and
possibly Mexico thereafter.

Our policy is to have one wildcard entry for each international event. The Wildcard entry must be of the nationality of the nation.

Who the wildcard entry will be I have no idea but Marco Andretti will be here in October to compete in a V8 Supercar alongside 27 other international drivers and the surname alone may influence the choice although their are better

No need to be unsure of me. I am easy to get along with

UncleSam

June 28, 2012 12:01 AM

@CommodoreS

I would hope it is not Marco, he is not up to the task. I would rather see Joey Hand from DTM, A.J. Allmendinger from NASCAR, or Patrick Long from ALMS, they are steady drivers that are sure to represent themselves well against the talented field of V8 regulars. You never know though, sometimes a guy can surprise you and raise their game. I once watched Travis Pastrana, motorcycle stunt rider, take a Porsche Super Cup car to a 14th place finish against a solid field of competitors, prior to the 2005 F1 USGP. It definitely will be a great show no matter the wildcard chosen, now you guys just need to come to best road racing track in states, Road America.

CommodoreS

June 28, 2012 4:03 AM

The Vegemite is packed mate.

My choice if it was left to me would be Patrick Long.

He has done exceptionally well downhere.

As for Marco we will see how he goes. I have a feeling the surname will be the clincher.

Nows its up to Bernies to give us a date as we will be the support category for F1.

I personally visited Austin myself about a month ago in my capacity with V8 Supercars. Its a ripper of a circuit with the elevation and so on. Turn 1 will be interesting.

Visit www.v8supercars dot com and navigate your way through the page and see whats going on