F1 » Full extent of de Villota injuries revealed

Despite a lengthy operation lasting through the night, Maria de Villota has lost her right eye as a result of the testing accident she suffered at Duxford Airfield on Tuesday.

Liam48 - Unregistered

July 05, 2012 3:39 AM

My heart goes out to Maria, I feel really sorry for her, I wouldn't wish those injuries on my worst enemy!

I hope she can get through this tough time, I'm sure with her family there they'll make it a lot easier to deal with.

Get well soon Maria!

Enrico 47 - Unregistered

July 05, 2012 4:35 AM

Chris @@@

So in your opinion your mother and sisters are less human or capable than your father or brothers.

Funny perception on 3 1/2 billion people.

Crash where is your censorship when we need it!!!??

SimonJ - Unregistered

July 05, 2012 5:14 AM

losing an eye doesn't mean she can't still race. Once you get used to it, you get depth perception cues from other things such as shadows and so forth. I have a problem with my right eye but can easily fly rc planes/helicopters and race both motorcycles and cars relatively successfully.

JimmyJimmy

July 05, 2012 6:28 AM

I had not heard of this driver until this sad event. Learning she has lost an eye is like being punched in the pit of my stomach. To get where she has gotten to means that racing was her life and she was attaining her goals - and to do that in motorsport takes grit and courage. To have that all snatched away... gut wrenching. Since the accident I've read a lot about this person. She is an outstanding, talented person and driver who is well thought of. I'm gutted for her and I can only say my thoughts will be with her.

Safety in testing - Unregistered

July 05, 2012 7:32 AM

Why were they on an airfield????
Budget? Costs?

Why wasn't this done on the safety of a race track??

RBR/McLare/Ferrari wouldn't test on an airfield.

Buck Bundy

July 05, 2012 8:55 AM

Yes, A.S., quite normal.

McLaren, Renault, Force India, Brawn and Williams (possibly others) have all used Kemble Airfield near Cirencester for straight line testing. Such places are idealy suited.

ronsgoldenboy - Unregistered

July 05, 2012 10:20 AM

Wishing her all the best and a successful recovery.

EDIT by CRASH.NET!Speculative comments removed as inappropriate at this time.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6  »