F1 » Silverstone planning ahead for future rainy days

The organisers at Silverstone Circuit were breathing deep sighs of relief after an ultimately successful British Grand Prix, but are also urgently looking at what to do in the future.

JRC - Unregistered

July 09, 2012 1:45 PM

So "Phillips said that the priorities for any further investment ahead of 2013 will be focussed on sorting out the campsites, ensuring that the car parks hold up under heavy use..."
Really ?
Didn't the Silverstone managemant say exactly the same thing last time the GP got rained on ?
The facilities at Silverstone are TERRIBLE - unless you arrive by helicopter and go straight to you corporate box... Which says everything you need to know about where the "priorities" really are !

oman biker - Unregistered

July 09, 2012 2:13 PM

I seem to remember going through a similar weekend at Silverstone back around 1990...it was the year that Schumi beat Hakinen in the pits if I recall correctly. We were camping on a golf course if my memory serves me of a private leisure club. What a bloody mess that was....they were using tractors to pull the tractors out of the site.
But who expects that kind of weather? I think the guys who organise these things in general do a great job bearing in mind that as well as keeping Joe Public happy they also need to make a profit.

mrfill

July 09, 2012 2:25 PM

"These are very expensive places to run and having someone come in with some extra cash would be fantastic. It would enable us to do better things,"

Its not like the BRDC is short of some seriously rich people although they are clearly happier for the plebs to finance their club.

Keefypee - Unregistered

July 09, 2012 8:01 PM

Maybe Mr. Ecclestone should appear on the TV program, 'Back to the Floor'.
Then he might appreciate that some of his company's money should be spent on circuit improvements!

Wayne - Unregistered

July 09, 2012 9:02 PM

It all turned out great in the end didn't it....NOT for me and my wife it didn't!!!! we travelled all the way from Cumbria, got stuck in the A43 traffic only to find out hours later that the campsite that we'd already paid for months ago would not let us in and we were to go home, it was the police who broke the news, where was the silverstone officials hiding? they certainly weren't manning the phones, I have already e-mailed the address that we were given (which now appears to be changed?)requesting a full refund for the weekend tickets....there seems to be no mention of people left high and dry like us and I'm sure there was thousnads of us.

Keefypee - Unregistered

July 09, 2012 9:42 PM

@Wayne
Hate to rub it in, mate, but you should have gone to Oulton Park instead & watched a cracking British Superbike weekend! Two wheels or four....NO CONTEST!!

Jayne

July 09, 2012 10:07 PM

I was also there with friends and the best thing I did was book a hotel!
Silverstone made themselves look inept!
Why are the general public walkways a disgrace? Even when its dry they are rough especially for the disabled. This weekend it was like walking through superglue. Getting down the slopes were very dangerous, no handrails and yet again the numptees they employed to keep us normal people in check just stood around and watched as the fans slipped over often laying flat in their backs unable to get up.
Hotels?
Silverstone are having a laugh if snooze box is anything to go by! The normal every year fan will not be able to afford a room. cont

Taipan

July 10, 2012 12:13 AM

Evening Jayne, As I said a few days ago, for Silverstone to spend millions on pretty buildings then ignore simple fan requirements like effective parking, safe access and useable campsites is nothing short of neglect of duty.
I love the Silverstone track but they really need to sort out the basics and blaming it all on the rain is a crap excuse, it's hardly a new thing in the UK!
Other than the obvious, I hope you enjoyed your weekend,

Greg - Unregistered

July 10, 2012 1:03 AM

Taken from commentary during the race...

Only Silverstone would build a brand new pits that was below the bloody water table, thereby requiring a lake be built so they could pump out the water from the pits to it.

RMcGeddon - Unregistered

July 10, 2012 2:52 AM

They are looking at what to do in the future? Don't make me laugh. It's not as though this sort of thing is unusual at Silverstone. I can remember them saying exactly the same thing almost 25 years ago. I think it was 1986 when I first saw the car park turn into a quagmire. I had good reason to feel smug about going back to the camp site & moving the dormobile to the exit before the race started. The TV news showed tractors still towing cars out of the mud the following Tuesday. I guess they were looking at what to do in the future then too!

1 2  »