F1 » Weather, not tyres, decided race - Pirelli

Pirelli dismissed complaints that the British Grand Prix had been too dominated by tyre choice, saying that the weather had been a game-changer for everyone.

Al Sim - Unregistered

July 09, 2012 8:31 PM

Rubbish. These Micky Mouse tyres have dominated every race this season. Why have the teams and drivers not got the guts to say so? I think they have all been warned off rubbishing the tyres and told to tow the line.

Amigo - Unregistered

July 09, 2012 9:38 PM

Obviously, soft tire does not work well as drivers and teams though. It take too long to warm up. Hard tires is better than they think.
Drivers whom start with Soft tires on short stint and finish with Hard Tires were got better result than drivers whom were on Soft tires last.
Grojearn early pit stop for new nose and tires change with Hard Tires didn't affect his race. He finish at 7 position. Tire strategy cost Alonso winning the race.

Zoran - Unregistered

July 09, 2012 9:51 PM

In past years it was 80% car and 20% driver. Now it is 80% tires,10% car and 10% driver.
Tires are silly, Softer tires can't give you more speed, we have seen that harder tires are better.I don't like how much this years tires play role.

ME - Unregistered

July 10, 2012 1:54 AM

Forcing a team to use 2 different tires compounds is umm dumb. Having those tires inconsistent even more dumb. It goes against everything racing is about - but it does add to the "show" - bang head against wall now. So many dumb rules to add to the "show"...next up DRS. Bang head against wall again.

I don't blame Perelli - they are delivering what was asked of them. Add to the "show". Bang head....

Rob01 - Unregistered

July 10, 2012 2:01 AM

The tires do not seem to be the same. You could end up getting a set of nice softs and think you know what's going on. Put on another soft set and think you are at a different track.

Hocuspokus - Unregistered

July 10, 2012 2:57 AM

It's all part of Bernie's strategy to make sure nobody ever again gets 'bored' by a driver who wins too often.

Nevermind if it makes the whole thing a lottery & a mockery of the best drivers & teams deservedly winning.

Frankly it's a joke, but as F1 is now more than ever all about generating money for Bernie & his pals who can honestly say they are surprised the sporting element and quest for excellence & best are very distant low priorities?

Brittany - Unregistered

July 25, 2012 7:43 AM

An interesting idea and one that I think could be done, whetear or not the cliff could be maintained I'm not sure. Here is why I think it could be done. Way back when I was racing motorcycles Dunlop had just introduced the D207 tire. It was an amazing tire. The feel and the grip were awesome and the confidence you felt allowed you to brake later and carry more speed through corners. One weekend I went down to the dunlop truck and bought another new set of D207s. I went out for my race on them and the front end chattered so bad I thought my fillings would fall out! I went back to Dunlop and told them the problem and they inspected the tire. They said it was fine. The tire was still in balance and had not spun on the rim. They said that something had changed on the bike. I told them I didn't change one setting. Puzzled they asked me to bring down my other set of rims that did not make the bike the chatter. Upon further investigation we found out that the tire that did not