F1 » Vettel hit with time penalty

Sebastian Vettel drops from second to fifth after being given a post-race penalty in the German Grand Prix

Chopper51 - Unregistered

July 22, 2012 8:42 PM

Some of you guys should leave your personal opinions out of the occasion and look at the facts!!! They were side by side, if he would not have went off track they would have collided into each other. The reason he was able to out accelerate Button, simple he had better tires (that's how he caught him in the first place). Their was no advantage, but there was a rule violation. The only question is if the race went on would the team have asked him to give up the position, probably yes! Then no 20sec penalty! Luck of the draw!!!

Dario - Unregistered

July 22, 2012 8:59 PM

For everyone saying the penalty was severe and that they could just swap places back, well, that's not a penalty then, is it?

If I try something illegal, and all that will happen is that I land back where I started, there's nothing stopping me from trying, as the potential reward is great, and the potential punishment is nonexistent.

Som if before an attempted bank robbery I am an out of work carpenter, and I get caught robbing a bank, and am then released back on the street to end up where I started, what would stop me from giving it a try in the first place? Or a second time?

Vettel would have had more chances, as Button pointed out, and he made a mistake hurrying things. It's his screwup.

Dario - Unregistered

July 22, 2012 9:00 PM

RMcGeddon - Unregistered

July 22, 2012 9:06 PM

Having seen so many comments suggesting Vettel's penalty was too harsh, I think it should be pointed out that the stewards had no discretion at all in the penalty given. To gain an advantage while off the designated race track is against the rules, full stop, no grey areas there. The prescribed penalty for this is a drive-through, or if the race finishes before this penalty can be given, a 20-second time penalty is prescribed. Again, black and white with no room for discretion.......

Angelina - Unregistered

July 22, 2012 9:10 PM

Vettel is usually penalized harshly but this penalty was unfair.
If Vettel would have won, he would not receive a penalty. His teammate screwed Seb's rece on Saturday.

richard

July 22, 2012 9:16 PM

langer. when lulu passed nico, off the track, he had not even been alongside . he opted to goo off track to pass. now when seb went off the track, he was fully alongside when button pushed him off. in other words, lulu had an option, seb didnt!

r mcgeddon. listening to the experienced commentators, two of whom have been stewards, they stated that a penalty for the event could range from a warning, to a disqualification. i guess that they know the rules better than you or me!

RMcGeddon - Unregistered

July 22, 2012 9:22 PM

Angelina - See my previous post. The penalties for breaches of the rules are DEFINED in the rules. The stewards have no discretion in the penalty they can apply. Their role is simple - to define whether or not the rules were broken. If the rules were broken, the prescribed penalty is applied. The reason for this is to prevent the uninformed accusing the stewards of favouritism.
Dario - how can anybody disagree with perfect logic like that?

« 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  »