F1 » Ricciardo: I don't think I've done a bad job

Daniel Ricciardo insists that he is not worried about his seat at Toro Rosso despite a poor points return in 2012.

MartinJSUK - Unregistered

August 07, 2012 6:20 PM

I wonder if Red Bull have given any though to who Vettel's long-term team-mate will be, and whether he will be an outright #2 or a direct threat? Daniel hasn't shown anything to suggest that he can be a potential champion, but he's looking like a potential solid frontrunner with decent if unspectacular pace. The car is clearly the weakest of the 9 established teams, but it's usually been Vergne missing the cut for Q1, although race pace is a bit more even.

JoeS

August 07, 2012 8:02 PM

Wow, crash. Daniel is moving into his second full season is he? Last time I checked, this one wasn't anywhere near over yet. Secondly, Since when did he join HRT in 2012?
Aside from that, I'm afraid to say I ultimately disagree with Ricciardo's statement. The car is clearly weaker, but he was marginal on his HRT team mate, and is marginal to Vergne, who was nothing special in the feeder formula's. There are better drivers currently in GP2.

AR - Unregistered

August 07, 2012 8:04 PM

Opinions are like A@@holes . Everybody has one. Including me and so far none have shown to be wdc. Then again neither really has had a chance. However the pressure is on JEV as he and not DR entered F1 with a big chest to match his head and carry on like a pork chop on how great he his. And now each race all he does is tries to pull down DRperformance. 10:2 in qualy and 6:5 in races over JeV. I can't stand big heads in rookies.

richard

August 07, 2012 8:14 PM

joe. in defence of crash.net, they are correct. ricciardo went into hrt half way through last season, and has just completed a total of 19 or 20 races, which comprises ONE season. Now he is starting to appear on circuits for the second time, so he is beginning his second FULL season, albeit out of phase with the normal seasons.

Googolplex

August 08, 2012 2:17 AM

Taz, beware, your post may just disappear just as a very similar one by me recently disappeared.

Richard, I agree with your interpretation of the article, but half a year in HRT may have been more of a hindrance than a benefit for Ricciardo, given that in most races from about lap 12 onwards he spent his time looking in his mirrors trying to get out of the way of cars lapping him.

sodesu - Unregistered

August 08, 2012 6:42 AM

I'm surprised they haven't done more TBH. I always thought both of them had plenty of talent - but none of them is really shining so far. I think if I were a team manager the only drivers currently behind them on my signing wish-list would probably be the HRT guys... And frankly, both Alguersuari and Buemi would probably be ahead aswell.

Taipan

August 08, 2012 9:36 AM

Richard you should know by now that giving an honest opinion on certain drivers is illegal. However I share your illegal view.
Ricciardo hasn't done a bad job fair enough, but the STR programe isn't there to find a "not bad" driver it's there to find replacements for Webber and eventually Vettel. So far Ricciardo has shown no more than Alguwhatever or Buemi and they were both chopped. I'm guessing he'll get one more season in STR and if there isn't a vast improvement he'll be looking for a new job come 2014.

Sorry for the reality check peeps.

« 1 2 3  »