F1 » Austin responds to Attorney General

The Circuit of the Americas reacts to suggestions about state funding

Filter Comments: All | Registered

alebar - Unregistered

August 20, 2012 8:15 PM

It may be a big event the first year, as Indy was, but it will shrink over time. The circuit's ticket seat-license scheme is ridiculous and assumes a full calendar of top-billing for over a decade. I went to Indy for EVERY F1 race, but I will not be going to Austin, they're selling something they don't yet have (MotoGP, long-term F1, etc.)

Nick636

August 21, 2012 7:43 AM

I hope Texas and this circuit can pull it together as COTA looks like a truly exciting circuit. Better than any other tilke tracks anywho... If they work it right, F1, MotoGP and WSBK could race here (And stop racing at Indy and Miller!!!)

They could also host NASCAR and Indy and AMA races!

IanH

August 21, 2012 3:43 PM

Last year when all the finances blew up that resulted in Tevo losing the driving seat, I called the Major events people in Austin. Although this funding doesn't come out of government funding the Austin papers were and I expect still are stirring up stories of this money being funded by "your" local and state taxes.
The money comes from the additional state taxes collected as a result of the event, as a refund or in advance. When local pressure got bad the Texas comptroller Susan Combes reneged on the advance payment that killed Tevo's deal.
So we are left wondering what the hell is going on now ?
This money was used for the Super Bowl and all sorts of other events.

Lightspeedtim - Unregistered

August 22, 2012 5:19 AM

Austin hotels are SCALPERS! Had to book a hotel 25 miles out for $350 for one frickin nite! All hotels in austin starting at $400 and carried a 4 night minimum!! I would not have attended this event if i would have known nor will i return if they have a 2013 gp. Fricken eye gouging texans!!! What are they trying to do, pay the circuit off with one event?! NEVER AGAIN TEXAS!

devilsadvocate - Unregistered

August 22, 2012 2:49 PM

@lightspeedtim... Right its the d*mn eye gouging texans because hotels are so cheap everywhere else in the world that hosts an F1 race... (rolls eyes).

I presume you are 1. A knuckle dragging NASCAR fan who thinks every place should be as cheap as your local dirt track or 2. You are some ignorant European (or someone from the northeast US) who thinks because it is Texas you are somehow traveling to the third world and will be carted to the track on donkeys and oxcarts. Either way get over yourself.

Lightspeedtim - Unregistered

August 22, 2012 6:57 PM

No sir...not a knuckle dragging nascar fan nor am i european. Im actually full blooded CAJUN from neighboring louisiana who knows the value of a dollar! I am a huge motorcycle roadracing fan that also enjoys high tech F1 action. All i am saying is that they(texas hotels) are eye gouging anyone and everyone staying in big ole texas! This will be my last visit to the cow patty state!

devilsadvocate - Unregistered

August 22, 2012 11:18 PM

Poor Tim, I live in austin so I could care less honestly, and last time I checked the race in Austin continues to be a bargain compared to even the next cheapest race on the calendar ... Nonetheless, I can assure you, we will not miss you when you have left, please don't cry.